Thread poster: Susanna Martoni

Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:46
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Jul 9, 2013

Hi everybody and first of all: I am sorry for this apparently simple question.

I have an updated (perfectly updated) memory in Trados Studio 2011. Right.
I have a source file to be translated, and almost all segments are already present in my fantastic translation memory. Right.
I open the file, confirm all options (open TM, update, ecc. ecc.): the file is on the left of the screen and?
I have to apply the translated segments (in memory) on the right of the screen. But? How can I do it?
Have I to input CTRL+T in each segment and to confirm with CTRL+Enter for each segment to get the translated text?
I think and hope there is an optional possibility to get the text instantly translated according to the TM segments.

Thank you.
I am in a dark bubble.
Susanna

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Project needed Jul 9, 2013

To get out of your dark bubble, you need to create a project instead of using "open document".
You may like to read my advice on the difference between open document and create project:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/01/08/new-studio-project/

In a nutshell, when a project is created, you select certain batch tasks that include pre-translating a source file with the TM you have added to the project. Then, when it opens in the Editor window, matches from the TM will already be in the target segments.

You can select the exact percentage match you want Studio to use to pretranslate your source file. 100% match is the safest bet (and used by default I think), but sometimes it's useful to lower it to 80% or so.

HTH,
Emma

Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Projects... Jul 9, 2013

Thank you Emma.

Yes, I have to create a new Project. And above all I have to get used to do it.

Thank you so much for your VERY useful link!

Happy translating.
Susanna

Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Non-project option Jul 9, 2013

If, like me, you haven't really learnt how to create new projects, you can simply open the untranslated document and save it. Once it's been saved, you can go to the project tab at the top, click on batch tasks, select pre-translate, and go from there.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You have created a Project! Jul 9, 2013

Denise Phelps wrote:

If, like me, you haven't really learnt how to create new projects, you can simply open the untranslated document and save it. Once it's been saved, you can go to the project tab at the top, click on batch tasks, select pre-translate, and go from there.

HI Denise,

I think it's worth noting that even with this method you are still creating a Project... it's a single file Project and all the same things apply once you have done it. There is another article here that may be helpful : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-1A

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: A complete and updated memory vs a file to be translated

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search