Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 15, 2013

G'day everyone

I translate ITD files for a regular client by exporting to TTX and then harvesting from TTX again. I have done this many times for this client, but today an ITD file refuses to harvest from my TTX file. The only thing that is different on my computer is that I had upgraded from Trados 2009 to Trados 2011, but presumably that would not have affected either the SDL Edit Lite or Trados 2007 on my computer.

When I try to harvest from the TTX file, I get this message:

Import - Languages
The following unknown language has been encountered in an import file.
[blank space]
Please select the language to be used, or press cancel to ignore all translations associated with the unknown langauge code.

I have checked the language of the exported TTX file and of the TTX file I'm trying to harvest from, and they're the same. From past experience I know that the harvest TTX file should have the same name that SDL Edit gave it, and it should be in the same folder, and the ITD file should have the original file name too.

No matter what options I choose on that dialog, it ends with SDL Edit saying:

SDL Edit
The TTX file was not generated from an ITD file.

...which is not true. I have not processed the TTX file in any program that would alter the underlying code, and when I compare the original TTX with the latest TTX file in a DIFF program, I can see that the only differences are my translations.

So... after having rebooted the computer, what other options do I have? What could possibly be wrong? How can I coax SDL Edit into accepting the TTX file which it itself had exported?

Thanks
Samuel

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Okay, the long workaround Jul 15, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
So... after having rebooted the computer, what other options do I have? What could possibly be wrong? How can I coax SDL Edit into accepting the TTX file which it itself had exported?

Here's what I did: I converted the TTX file to a TM in SDL Edit, and then updated the ITD file against the TM. Short version.

The long version is:

1. Run Trados 2007 Workbench, and use the menu File > New... to create a new TM called "asdf".
2. In Workbench, use the menu Tools > Clean up to "clean" the TTX file. This adds the content of the TTX file to the TM.
3. In Workbench, use the menu File > Export... to export the TM. Resist the temptation to export to "TXT" format (unless you want to screw up non-ANSI characters) and select "TMX 1.4b" instead.
4. Close Workbench. Run SDLX. Make yourself some coffee while you wait. If you've finished your coffee and you're still waiting, check the systray to see if that golden globe icon is there, and if so, click it to open the SDLX start pane.
5. To create a new TM in SDLX, you must select "Import TM". On the SDL start pane, use the menu TM > Import translation memory....
6. On the next dialog (the Important^H^H^H Wizard), click Create New Translation Memory. Give it a name. Recommended is "jklsemicolon". Select a user (if you don't have a user to create yet, click New and type something in both fields, like your name and your favourite food). Then click Next to get to the screen where you can select a TM to import.
7. This is where it gets tricky. Select "TMX" and select Next. Then click Add. Then click Add Selection. Then select your TMX file that you exported from Workbench. Then click Open, and then click OK, then click Next, then Click Next, then click Finish, and just when you thought you're finished, click OK again. And once more, OK again.
8. Then follow Kathi's excellent advice here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/252787-how_to_translate_in_sdl_edit.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Edit error: says its the wrong language

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search