Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 15, 2013

G'day everyone

I managed to create a TM in SDLX and now I want to replace all segments in the ITD file with whatever is in the TM. But... the SDL Edit program has no visible links or buttons that would normally mean things like "go to next segment" or "insert translation from TM", etc, as far as I can see. It's a mystery program. So, my question to you: how can I move from one segment to the next in such a way that the TM match gets inserted? What is the secret shortcut for that?

Thanks
Samuel

Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:56
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
SDLX Jul 15, 2013

Hi Samuel,
To apply the TM to the SDLX edit file, make sure the TM is loaded (menu item "Translation Memory" -> "Open") and then apply the TM (menu item "Translation Memory" -> "Apply"). You can set a value there for fuzzy matches.

Once you start translating and confirm each segment with enter, any 100% match will automatically be applied to the subsequent segments.

If you highlight a part of a segment or a full segment and click on F7, it will show you if that segment or that word has been translated before and is in the TM.

I find SDLX very easy and it is actually my preferred tool. Lmk if you need any help.

Kathi

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Kathi Jul 15, 2013

Kathi Stock wrote:
To apply the TM to the SDLX edit file, make sure the TM is loaded (menu item "Translation Memory" -> "Open") and then apply the TM (menu item "Translation Memory" -> "Apply"). You can set a value there for fuzzy matches.

Fantastic, this worked, thanks. I had to set the fuzzy percentage to 99%, but it worked fine, thanks.

I find SDLX very easy and it is actually my preferred tool.

I can't get my head around format painting, which is why I take the TTX route.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate in SDL Edit

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search