Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:25
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 15, 2013

G'day everyone

I have Trados 2011, and so does one of my colleagues. My colleague sent me SDLXLIFF files with matching external review DOCX files. I edited the DOCX files in MS Word, with Tracked Changes enabled, and now I want to see if I can import the external review myself, into the matching SDLXLIFF files.

But... I can't. When I try File > Update from External Review, Trados 2011 immediately says "Cannot run the task because the project cannot be found. Save the file in the editor and try again." Never was an error message more cryptic (just kidding). The file in the editor has no unsaved changes. There is no project (just the file). What's wrong here?

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2013-07-15 14:00 GMT]

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Obvious? Jul 15, 2013

Dear Samuel,

Samuel Murray wrote:
There is no project (just the file). What's wrong here?

Cryptic? The error message seems unusually plain and straightforward compared to what Studio usually offers:

Samuel Murray wrote:
Cannot run the task because the project cannot be found.

You could try to set up your own project using the SDLXLIFFs from you customer. Then export for review, review, and re-import. In this scenario, your client doesn't need to send the DOCX files at all.
Alternatively, just return the reviewed DOCX files - your client will be able to re-import them within the project he used to create them.

HTH,
Erik

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just to confirm, then... Jul 15, 2013

efreitag wrote:
You could try to set up your own project using the SDLXLIFFs from you customer. Then export for review, review, and re-import.

So... let me just confirm this:

External review requires the file to be part of a project, is that right? Can I just create a new project and expect the file that was exported from the client's project to work in it, or must the project into which the external review file is imported have to be the same project as the one that it was exported from?

I have already reviewed the file in MS Word, so if I were to re-export for review, then I would have to figure out how to put my existing reviews into the new exported file... which I'm not going to do.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Okay, new error message Jul 15, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
Can I just create a new project and expect the file that was exported from the client's project to work in it...?

Okay, I created a new project and added the colleague's SDLXLIFF file to it. I then tried the option to update from external review, but when I browse to the folder where the external review files are stored, I get this error message (which I was only able to type over after taking a screenshot, since the Trados does not allow the message to be displayed while my text editor is the active window):

None of the bilingual review documents found were added for this project file because the documents did not have matching file names to the project file.

The DOCX file has the exact name that it had when I got it from my colleague. So, what is the naming scheme that Trados is looking for? Here are the file names:

ABC_DEF.rtf.sdlxliff
ABC_DEF.rtf.review.docx

To what must I rename the DOCX file to let Trados realise that this file is the external review file for this SDLXLIFF file?

Thanks
Samuel

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Why are you doing this? Jul 15, 2013

Dear Samuel,

I'm not sure about the naming conventions.

Anyway, I'm wondering why you're doing all this. Why would you want to import the changes yourself? Could you explain?

The normal procedure would be something like this:

1. Your client creates a DOCX for external review and sends it to you.
2. You review the DOCX in MS Word. Trados is not involved.
3. You return the DOCX to your client.
4. Your client re-imports the changes you've made.

Alternatively:

1. Your client sends you an SDLXLIFF for review.
2. You review the SDLXLIFF, either in Studio, or you create an DOCX for external review in MS Word.
(2b. In the latter case, you re-import the changes you've made into the SDLXLIFF)
3. You return the updated SDLXLIFF to your client.

HTH,
Erik

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I just want to check if I broke the file or not Jul 15, 2013

efreitag wrote:
Anyway, I'm wondering why you're doing all this. Why would you want to import the changes yourself?

Because I want to make extensive changes to the DOCX and I want to see if Trados would still accept it. So I thought that it must be possible for me to import the changes myself.

But now it appears that Trados doesn't work that way, i.e. only the person who created the DOCX file can import the DOCX file again. And... well, now I ask myself what would happen when if that person happens to be out of the office (e.g. on lunch, or dead) when the translator returns the file, and the other PMs can't import it on their own computers, because the computer on which the file was originally created is not accessible.

1. Your client creates a DOCX for external review and sends it to you.
2. You review the DOCX in MS Word. Trados is not involved.
3. You return the DOCX to your client.
4. Your client re-imports the changes you've made.

I understand all of this, thanks.

icon_smile.gif

Samuel

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Naming conventions... Jul 15, 2013

Ok, now I understand why you're doing this.

Samuel Murray wrote:

ABC_DEF.rtf.sdlxliff
ABC_DEF.rtf.review.docx

To what must I rename the DOCX file to let Trados realise that this file is the external review file for this SDLXLIFF file?

I think the file name should be ABC_DEF.rtf.sdxliff.review.docx

Have you tried that?

HTH,
Erik

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Or... Jul 15, 2013

efreitag wrote:
I think the file name should be ABC_DEF.rtf.sdxliff.review.docx

No, there is nothing wrong with the file name -- when I create my own export, it leaves out the ".sdlxliff." as well. But I found that I was able to use the import function successfully (I think) after I had used the export function. So it would appear (but I haven't tested this) that Trados will refuse to import a file if it didn't export a file previously in that same project.

However, I now have the problem that had been discussed previously in this forum, namely that Trados has a problem with segment 1. Even if I do a fresh export and I make just one little change in segment 1, with no other hacking or roundtripping, Trados refuses to import the file and says that there is something wrong with segment 1. This is exactly the same error message that my colleague was getting when he tried to import my file, and now I know that the problem does not lie with my hacking but with something else.

Added:
http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4647#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4647

[Edited at 2013-07-15 16:51 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Time stamp Jul 15, 2013

If you edit your sdlxliff after exporting, Studio will not import from external review, because the edited sdlxliff is younger than the docx-file you try to import. So after export you must not touch the file in Studio.
You also must edit the exported file in Word 2007 or newer, otherwise STudio will refuse to update from it, even if the format stays docx.
The export for external review is for reviewers without Studio.

Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Apr 9, 2014

[Edited at 2014-04-09 17:51 GMT]

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Why bother with export for external review if you both use Studio? Apr 10, 2014

Whenever I need to work with an editor who also uses Studio, we normally just exchange Studio files. I sent the version to proof, he or she turns on tracked changes, makes any changes desired, and sends it back. I finalize in the Studio file I receive from the editor. Are there advantages to adding the extra step of exporting/importing for external review? Is to achieve flexibility to do things are possible in Word but difficult in Studio? I always assumed that external review was mainly for cases when you needed to send the file to someone who does not have Trados Studio.

[Edited at 2014-04-10 17:13 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use tracked changes much faster in MS Word than in Studio Apr 10, 2014

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:
Whenever I need to work with an editor who also uses Studio, we normally just exchange Studio files. I sent the version to proof, he or she turns on tracked changes, makes any changes desired, and sends it back.

I use tracked changes much faster in MS Word than in Studio. I could use Studio, but then I would be a lot slower, and make less money in the end.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
But you lack all the features of Studio Apr 10, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:
I use tracked changes much faster in MS Word than in Studio. I could use Studio, but then I would be a lot slower, and make less money in the end.

Maybe (although I don't see why that should be so much faster), but you don't have access to all the features of Studio such as Lookup, Concordance, Display Filter, etc.

This approach might be useful for review but surely not for translation.

Walter

Daniel Rodrigues  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same file name is not enough Jul 15, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:
Can I just create a new project and expect the file that was exported from the client's project to work in it...?

Okay, I created a new project and added the colleague's SDLXLIFF file to it. I then tried the option to update from external review, but when I browse to the folder where the external review files are stored, I get this error message (which I was only able to type over after taking a screenshot, since the Trados does not allow the message to be displayed while my text editor is the active window):

None of the bilingual review documents found were added for this project file because the documents did not have matching file names to the project file.

The DOCX file has the exact name that it had when I got it from my colleague. So, what is the naming scheme that Trados is looking for? Here are the file names:

ABC_DEF.rtf.sdlxliff
ABC_DEF.rtf.review.docx

Thanks
Samuel

Hi fellows,

Not only the import file name must match the exported file name, also the locale folder name must be present. So, if you are working on a translation into Russian, with locale "ru-RU", make sure that you paste all reviewed files into a folder named "ru-RU".

I hope it helps!

Cheers!
Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to update from external review

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search