Translation memory doesn't work
Thread poster: BVDB

BVDB
Netherlands
Local time: 05:25
Jul 15, 2013

Hi,
I'm new to SDL and i have a problem whith the translation of a document.
I imported a *.doc file into my SDL as usual, but it seems that SDL does not reconize the words as it should.

For example the word "steam" that is used more than once in the document is not found. I translated several times now, but it still doesn't translate it in the rest of the document. Is there something i need to do to get this working or is is possible that it is a problem inside my word document?

IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TM works with segments (sentences), not single words Jul 15, 2013

All TM programs I know of split the files into segments. One segment usually equals one sentence, or one title, or one table cell or similar chunk of information.

A single word in a document is usually only a part of a segment. You can use the concordance function (RTFM) to search for "steam". If segments containing "steam" have been translated and stored in the TM, you'll be presented with a list of those sentences from which you usually can deduce the meaning.

TM programs are also called CAT tools, meaning "Computer Assisted Translation". Note that it's not automatic -- a human person is still needed for the translation, although most CAT tools contain various tools for automation.

BVDB wrote:

Hi,
I'm new to SDL and i have a problem whith the translation of a document.
I imported a *.doc file into my SDL as usual, but it seems that SDL does not reconize the words as it should.

For example the word "steam" that is used more than once in the document is not found. I translated several times now, but it still doesn't translate it in the rest of the document. Is there something i need to do to get this working or is is possible that it is a problem inside my word document?

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Termbase Jul 15, 2013

Hi,

Create a Termbase and add the terms as you go along:

Select the source term and the target term and hit Ctrl+F2

HTH,

Bernard

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:25
Member (2008)
French to English
Single words and short phrases Jul 15, 2013

If you want to look up how you previously translated a single word or short phrase (as opposed to a sentence or segment) you can use the concordance function (press F3 after highlighting what you're looking for).

Due to differences in context, it's by no means automatic that a source word will always be translated the same way later in the document.

[Edited at 2013-07-15 19:32 GMT]

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Other Option Jul 15, 2013

If you have similar sentences and/or words, download TermInjector (OpenExchange), definitely will improve your workflow.

HTH,

Bernard

Erich Hegenberger  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:25
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
There's one tool that will do that. Jul 16, 2013

IrimiConsulting wrote:

All TM programs I know of split the files into segments. One segment usually equals one sentence, or one title, or one table cell or similar chunk of information.

I don't usually support this site by commenting on it but can't resist responding to this. Snowball saves words, phrases and sentences, because I'm a translator and I designed it to help _translators_ work more quickly and effectively instead of just helping translation clients pay you less for your inconvenience of working with their cumbersome tools. It's called Snowball because the database grows so quickly. You can easily get 100 usable entries from a single sentence, and that can help you save time in your very next sentence - no need to wait 6 months for a similar job to come around.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation memory doesn't work

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search