Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 16, 2013

G'day everyone

Right, thanks to the quick and helpful responses from Trados staff and Trados users. Don't think I don't appreciate it... sorry for dissing your tool... again.

My external-review woes continue. I have ensured that I edited and saved the original externa-review DOCX file in Word 2007, and tried to import it again. My upstream outsourcer hit a snag at segment 37, but we were able to resolve it by deleting a comment. Then it hit another snag at segment 54, and that's when we both went to bed (separately, in separate countries, you understand).

Error 1:
Problem when merging content of segment 37

The snag at segment 37 seems to have been caused by the fact that I had deleted a superfluous tag and then placed a comment on that deletion. I'm not sure what cause Trados to blarf on it -- the fact that I had commented on a deletion or the fact that I had commented on a tag, or both. I deleted the comment, and Trados was happy, until...

Error 2:
Problem when merging content of segment 56 (okay, interestingly the error message that is displayed in Trados itself does not occur in the XML version of the error message -- it said something about corrupted tags)

The tags at segment 56 are perrrfect. They're even in the appropriate style. And I have made tag changes earlier in the file, and Trados had no objection to it. So I can't tell what Trados doesn't like about those tags. The source text ends on a tag, and so does the corrected translation.

Anyway, doing a Ctrl+Shift+Z after the last tag in the target text (which changes the end of the segment to "Normal" style) doesn't solve it. Accepting the change in MS Word (so that it aint marked as an insertion no more) doesn't solve it either.

I even tried deleting the translation and replacing it entirely with what is written in the source text cell (by copy/pasting), but... Trados says the tags are corrupted.

The only thing that allows Trados to move past that segment, is if I don't fix the tag error in that segment. My upstream outsourcer discovered this, and simply rejected all subsequent tag fixes in the file, and then Trados accepted it. But... that meant that the source/target tag differences were not fixed!

Is this the lesson, then? You can't fix tag errors in external-review files? Or rather, specific ones?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

External review, Trados 2011, tags are corrupted

Advanced search

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

• All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search