SDL Trados vs Passolo vs Multi-term
Thread poster: flopicon

flopicon

English to French
Jul 16, 2013

Hello!
I've been using Trados for quite a while but never got interested in Passolo and Multi-term, which I paid for!
Is anyone here using Passolo or Multi-term? What does it really do? Ho steep is the learning curve to these products?
Thanks in advance for your much appreciated help!
Flo

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:35
English to Italian
Info Jul 16, 2013

Hello
I am from SDL.
Passolo is a specific product, probably a little more complex to learn, and it is used for software localization.

It allows you to 1) get software files translated 2) see some of the UI and see your translation inside the UI (Menu / dialog boxes etc.)
It is easier on simple DLL files and it gets in a way more complex to use the more complex the file type.

MultiTerm is terminology database and it can be used on any project. You can store terms (technical terms, industry specific wordings, brand names... anything which needs a specific and consistent translation). It integrates with Studio and you can see within Studio as you translate the terms and how they should be translated.

We have some videos on how to use MultiTerm here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sdltrados/search?query=multiterm

I also have a blank template which you can use as a base and which you can add terms to. If you get in touch via Proz I can email it to you.

Regards
Massi

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 15:35
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Passolo Jul 16, 2013

ghislandi wrote:

Passolo is a specific product, probably a little more complex to learn, and it is used for software localization.

I would say it is easier than MultiTermicon_smile.gif
Passolo was the leading localization tool before acquired by SDL and thanks to its developer it is easy to learn and user-friendly.

Luckily many Trados users don't know and use MultiTerm, otherwise they would switch to another CAT tool. MultiTerm is good for large agencies, even for end clients but a buggy program for many translators. Google for MultiTerm and Java, missing toolbar, ...

Kathaline Hotte  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:35
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
DESACTIVATION OF SDL TRADOS LICENSE OUTSIDE OF THE APPLICATION Jul 16, 2013

Hi,

My old computer has suddenly broken... No start is possible, I no longer have access to SDL TRADOS 2011 FREELANCE and could not desactivate it!
I have not paid for support premium, thus there is no way to contact SDL assistance and in the assistance online there is no way describing how to desactivate a license without any access to SDL TRADOS software.
Could someone help me about this problem? It is critical...
Thanks a lot
Regards
Kathaline

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Link Jul 16, 2013

Hi,

Try this link: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/245960-deactivating_license_for_a_dead_computer.html#2114459

HTH,

Bernard

Kathaline Hotte  Identity Verified
France
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
THANKS Jul 17, 2013

Hi Bernard,

Your link was very useful. I opened a ticket yesterday in "Solution Finder' and this morning my license had already been desactivated from my old computer. I can use SDL in my new one, everything is ok.
Thanks a lot for your great help

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados vs Passolo vs Multi-term

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search