Can Trados 2011 easily import uncleaned RTF into its TM?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 18, 2013

G'day everyone

For one client, I proofread translations done by a translator. The client wants to receive a proofread DOC file, with tracked changes. Previously, the translator used Wordfast for the translation, then sent me the uncleaned DOC file, and then I did the edits using tracked changes, and then I created two versions of the edited file -- one that is "cleaned" of all hidden text, for the client, and one that is still "uncleaned", so that the translator can update his TM. However, the translator now uses Trados 2011, and sent me the external-review table as well as the final DOC file, created by Trados. The client cares nothing for Trados or Wordfast or whatnot -- the client's requirement is still the same, i.e. he wants a proofread version of the DOC file, with tracked changes.

What would the best practice be here, without too much duplication of work?

Converting the final DOC file to Wordfast's uncleaned format will be easy for me, so I could still do what I always did, but then my question is: can the translator take that edited uncleaned file and "import" it into his TM easily?

Alternatively, if I edit the external-review file, with tracked changes, and the translator imports my changes, can the translator then create a "final" cleaned DOC file in which those tracked changes are preserved?

Samuel

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:38
Member (2008)
French to English
TMX Jul 18, 2013

I don't think so. I think the best you could probably do is create a WF TM by cleaning it up yourself and then export the TMX from the WF TM, which they can import into the Studio TM.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
If you have a bilingual RTF Jul 18, 2013

the best way would be saving it as DOC or DOCX, opening in Studio, saving as SDLXLIFF and importing the SDLXLIFF into your TM.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Suggestion Jul 18, 2013

Samuel, wouldn't it be easier to do the following?

If both of you have Studio 2011, then (imho) it would be more convenient for you to get sdlxliffs from the translator and proofread them (with tracked changes, so that the translator would see them) in Studio. The translator will receive the proofread sdlxliffs from you and will be able to update his TM without problems.

To provide the client with a proofread file with tracked changes you can convert into Word both files (before and after proofreading) and compare them in Word.

This process would be much easier and rather straightforward, imho.

[Edited at 2013-07-18 23:16 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Natalie Jul 19, 2013

Natalie wrote:
If both of you have Studio 2011, then (imho) it would be more convenient for you to get sdlxliffs from the translator and proofread them (with tracked changes, so that the translator would see them) in Studio. ... To provide the client with a proofread file with tracked changes you can convert into Word both files (before and after proofreading) and compare them in Word.

Thanks for the suggestion, but we're not going to do that, because I dislike editing inside Trados.

When I do editing, I want the source text above the target text, not next to it. And I enjoy using MS Word's various editing functions that are not present or that work differently in Trados. So even though I have Trados 2011, I'm not going to do any editing in it. I'm simply not going to. It would take me much longer, I would become more tired more quickly, and I would make mistakes. The only reason why I even consider tracked editing jobs in Trados is because of the external-review feature. (Non-tracked editing jobs in Trados 2011 is a different matter, because I simply edit the SDLXLIFF files directly, but that is not relevant here).

The best option, it would seem, at this time would be for me to create an external-review file using my own Trados installation, then edit it, then import it again myself, and then create a DOC version of the file for the client, and send the updated SDLXLIFF file back to the translator to accept/reject the changes and create a final DOC file for the client. Or I could let the translator do the conversions, but then we have to make sure the translator remembers not to edit his SDLXLIFF file in the mean time, and we have to have a long enough deadline and daylight time to juggle all of these activities without the client being inconvenienced by our use of Trados.

[Edited at 2013-07-19 10:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Trados 2011 easily import uncleaned RTF into its TM?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search