Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 19, 2013

G'day everyone

I read somewhere (here, on Yahoo, don't know) that if you create an external-review file, you should not edit the SDLXLIFF file further, otherwise Trados will refuse to import the external-review file. In other words, if the SDLXLIFF file is newer than the external-review file, Trados will refuse to import it. Is that true?

Well, Trados doesn't warn the user of this, and now the poor translator for whom I'm the proofreader will have to discover this the hard way, I guess. Because he certainly did edit his SDLXLIFF file after he sent me the external-review file. I know this because he just sent me a new external-review file, even though I have already been proofreading the earlier version for a couple of days now.

There aren't many difference between the old and the new external-review file -- mostly spelling updates and small edits that the translator thought would be helpful to make himself, so it would not take me more than 10 minutes to update my old version of the external-review file with the edits from the new external-review file. However, if I understand correctly, the translator will now no longer be able to import the proofread file back into Trados... because the proofread file's creation date is now older than the SDLXLIFF file. Is that right?

So, what would the appropriate way be to solve this issue? What would you do? I cannot re-edit the new version of the external-review file all over again.

What I'm thinking of doing (and hoping it will work) is to ask the translator, shortly before I deliver the proofreading to him, that he creates a most recent version of the external-review file, and then I'll just delete the content from the 4th column and then paste the content from my version into that column. Yes, I know that I have to follow a special procedure to ensure that the tracked changes remain intact, but that is not a problem. The question is whether this procedure will work.

Does Trados mind if there are tracked edits in the target column in Trados itself if those same edits are not present in the external-review file being imported?

Your input is appreciated.

Samuel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Juggling different versions of external-review files

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search