Help with translating .xlf file with lots of codes
Thread poster: Filip_kbh
Jul 19, 2013

Dear all,
How would you go about translating this file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21027154/BBI.xlf

It is exported to .xlf format from a CMS system but includes lots of HTML code. I have tried - without luck - to edit some filter types in SDL Trados 2011 but I could really use some help from experts.

Thanks in advance.
Filip

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 12:59
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
tried in WF Jul 19, 2013

I changed the file name to BBI.ttx and then tried opening in WF. Got an error message

filter: TTX file must be segmented in Trados in order to opened in Wordfast.

So after changing the file name, it may be possible to open in trados now.

Filip_kbh
TOPIC STARTER
More specifically I wanted the HTML code to be removed in order to get an accurate word count Jul 22, 2013

I guess I should have been a little more accurate in my description of what I would like.

I have no problem renaming the file to e.g. .xml and translating it - but there are huge chunks of HTML code inside, so I cannot get an accurate word count.

What I would like is of course only to get the words for translation shown in SDL Trados Studio 2011. Is that possible? I tried fiddling with the filter types but I cannot seem to get what I want.

Anthony Teixeira
Japan
Local time: 02:59
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Word count Jul 22, 2013

Regarding the word count, you can use an online tool like http://www.zubrag.com/tools/html-tags-stripper.php to strip tags (you'll need to use it twice to get a "clean" final output).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with translating .xlf file with lots of codes

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search