Help with translating .xlf file with lots of codes
Thread poster: Filip_kbh
Jul 19, 2013

Dear all,
How would you go about translating this file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21027154/BBI.xlf

It is exported to .xlf format from a CMS system but includes lots of HTML code. I have tried - without luck - to edit some filter types in SDL Trados 2011 but I could really use some help from experts.

Thanks in advance.
Filip

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 22:43
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
tried in WF Jul 19, 2013

I changed the file name to BBI.ttx and then tried opening in WF. Got an error message

filter: TTX file must be segmented in Trados in order to opened in Wordfast.

So after changing the file name, it may be possible to open in trados now.

Filip_kbh
TOPIC STARTER
More specifically I wanted the HTML code to be removed in order to get an accurate word count Jul 22, 2013

I guess I should have been a little more accurate in my description of what I would like.

I have no problem renaming the file to e.g. .xml and translating it - but there are huge chunks of HTML code inside, so I cannot get an accurate word count.

What I would like is of course only to get the words for translation shown in SDL Trados Studio 2011. Is that possible? I tried fiddling with the filter types but I cannot seem to get what I want.

Anthony Teixeira
Japan
Local time: 12:43
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Word count Jul 22, 2013

Regarding the word count, you can use an online tool like http://www.zubrag.com/tools/html-tags-stripper.php to strip tags (you'll need to use it twice to get a "clean" final output).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with translating .xlf file with lots of codes

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search