Preserving URLs unchanged
Thread poster: d2e

d2e
German to English
Jul 19, 2013

I have a large number of projects coming in as Word documents which contain many URLs. I'd like to stop Studio 2011 from doing anything other than copying the URL (including the link text) to the target window.

Basically, all I want is for Studio to grab everything between http:// and the next space and copy it over unchanged. At present, links occasionally get changed in ways that aren't immediately apparent, and the text sometimes gets changed too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:52
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Filter, copy, confirm? Jul 20, 2013

If it was me, the first thing I'd do with the document would be to filter the text to get all the segments containing http:, highlight the lot, then copy from source to target and then change the status to confirmed. That should fix them so that they don't get mucked about and you won't need to worry about them as you translate the remainder of the document. (And you get a satisfying drop in the figure left to translate, too!)

d2e
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Jul 20, 2013

Hi Jane

Thanks for the tip! It hadn't occurred to me to use a filter before copying the segments over. I'll give that a go on the next suitable candidate. It will certainly save me a bit of time.

What I was really hoping for was some way of stopping Studio doing anything with URLs by default. Frankly, It's a complete mystery to me why that isn't the default already.

Why on earth does Studio sometimes treat links as translatable and do odd things like inserting spaces or capital letters?

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
It's a CAT Jul 22, 2013

d2e wrote:

Why on earth does Studio sometimes treat links as translatable and do odd things like inserting spaces or capital letters?

Cats do whatever they want... but seriously, I don't understand why it does certain things in certain ways either. A lot of it is meant to be linked to the settings you have on your computer (the global language settings, like whether you have a comma or a full stop as the decimal separator, for example), but I'm sure this isn't the entire story.

d2e
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
SDL response? Jul 22, 2013

Perhaps SDL can enlighten us...

While certain things may depend on the local machine, settings and so on, IMO a URL should always remain unchanged

Jonathan Fray
United States
Local time: 15:52
Member (2010)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Settings Jul 22, 2013

If it's a Word file and you are working in SDL Trados Studio you can go to Tools>Options then on the left side expand File Type and go to Microsoft Word 2000-2003 if it is a .doc or Microsoft 2007-2013 if it is a .docx file. Then you click on Common and you will find an option "Process Hyperlinks" or "Extract Hyperlinks". Change the setting to "Never Process Hyperlinks" and next time you open a .doc or docx file to translate it won't extract the hyperlinks to your text. This doesn't change the project you are currently working on, so you'll have to re-create the project if you don't want it to extract hyperlinks. Let me know if this helps!icon_wink.gif

jkmsff
Convert style to inline tag Jul 24, 2013

d2e,

Are these URLs formatted in a certain character style? If yes, you can tell Trados Studio to treat text in this character style as a tag. See this help topic:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Ref/U-Z/Options/File_Types/Word00-03/Word_2000-2003__Non-translatable_styles.htm

Joachim

[Edited at 2013-07-24 07:44 GMT]

d2e
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
@ Jonathan Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for that Jonathan, that's just what I was looking for, unfortunately it doesn't seem too reliable. Studio is still changing some URLs. This seems to happen frequently when the link is very similar to a previous one, which is quite often the case with this particular client.

For example, if previous links were similar to this:

http://www.xxxxx.com/AB-admin/post.php?post=18154&action=edit

and the new link was something like this

http://www.xxxxx.com/ab-admin/post.php?post=18466&action=edit

then it would often re-capitalise the AB in the middle

if there's a recognisable word in the URL, then it may attempt to translate it

I've just realised I've not been making myself entirely clear. It's not the actual URLs themselves that are getting changed, it's the text that Word displays for them, which, for about half the links, is usually exactly the same string of text as the link itself.

d2e
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
@ Joachim Jul 24, 2013

I tried that too, but unfortunately, the only thing I can guarantee for the links is that they start with http:// or https:// and end at the next blank space.

It has no effect as far as I can tell.

Again, I have to point out that it's the link text and not the actual hyperlink which is getting changed (see my reply to Jonathan)

Jonathan Fray
United States
Local time: 15:52
Member (2010)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Why not just you the "Copy Source to Target" Jul 25, 2013

d2e wrote:

I've just realised I've not been making myself entirely clear. It's not the actual URLs themselves that are getting changed, it's the text that Word displays for them, which, for about half the links, is usually exactly the same string of text as the link itself.

Ah... OK. So it's not the URLs that Studio is extracting but the auto text that pops up when you hover you mouse over the link. In this case it seems like the match is a fuzzy one so that's why Studio is inserting it automatically. It should show as a fuzzy match and if it doesn't then it's because you confirmed a segment and it added to the TM incorrectly. In this case when you realize you shouldn't translate anything I would just use the "copy source to target" hotkey that can be found in the "Translation" menu bar when you are in the "Editor" view. This case you can know that you have copied exactaly the original...

d2e
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
The other way round Jul 25, 2013

Not sure what you mean Jonathan.

The text that pops up when you hover over a link text is the actual link URL.

For example, the address might be www.mywebsite.com/something/something.html, but what you see in Word before you hover might be "click here"

The above was just by way of explanation. If the links were like that, I wouldn't have a problem.

In fact, I have links where the text is identical, like this:

www.mywebsite.com/something/something.html (actual link)

www.mywebsite.com/something/something.html (link text)

- and needs to stay identical in case someone copies the text instead of clicking on it.

I am using copy target to source, but there's a lot of links in these documents so I was hoping to make things easier/automatic

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preserving URLs unchanged

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search