Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 17:01
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Jul 20, 2013

Hi,
I have Studio 2011 SP2, and I use it to translate from English into Arabic (a right to left language). And, as my questions suggest, I'm new to CAT tools all together.

1) In Studio, when translating a .docxsdlxliff file with tables in it, then saving it as .docx, the columns on the right shift to the left and vice versa.
Explanation:
A client sent me a word file with tables in it, the LEFT column contained the English source in red color, and the Right column c
... See more
Hi,
I have Studio 2011 SP2, and I use it to translate from English into Arabic (a right to left language). And, as my questions suggest, I'm new to CAT tools all together.

1) In Studio, when translating a .docxsdlxliff file with tables in it, then saving it as .docx, the columns on the right shift to the left and vice versa.
Explanation:
A client sent me a word file with tables in it, the LEFT column contained the English source in red color, and the Right column contained the exact same English text in black color. My job was to replace the black text on the right with its Arabic translation. The purpose is for the non Arabic web developer to know exactly what goes where.

Steps:
In Studio, whenever I reached the left column segments (which are in red) I used "Copy source to target".
When all the left column segments were done, I found the right column components (in black) in the segments below, and translated these into Arabic.
I saved the file as .docx, but when I opened it in MS Word, I found that the left red column went to the right, and the right black column went to the left!
Any idea how should I process the file within Studio to maintain the file's layout?

2) I have created a new TM for this project, and used it alone in this project. Now, as explained above, some segments need to stay in English, while others with the exact same text need to be translated into Arabic. So I had several "CM" or "100%" matches. The problem is that when I translate one of these repeated segments, the translation is copied to the "twin" segment that I needed to stay in English (because the source text is the same in both), although I had already chose (Copy source to target) and confirmed (Ctrl + Ent). How do prevent that from happening?
3) How do I prevent the cursor from bypassing the CM segments? Is there a way to prevent the auto confirmation of CM and 100% matches? I would like to take a look at each segment before confirming it by myself.

Thanks in advance,
Noura
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Table columns shift places, and CM questions

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »