Urgent disaster recovery help
Thread poster: Sian Cooper

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:14
French to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2013

Hi, have got a serious network issue with my own laptop on which all my work is and Trados (Studio ; is there any way I can either install a 2nd version of Trados on this machine, or temporarily use an online version if such exists, using my files recuperated from my machine? I have a project to deliver and I've lost 2 days - was a nice relaxed deadline!

Thank you so much for your advice

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:14
Member (2008)
French to English
Trial Jul 20, 2013

You can install a trial of SDL Studio on another machine, not on the same machine. It should work for 30 days.

But you can't install a trial on a machine that already has Studio installed.

But I'm not sure why you would want to install a second version on the same machine? If it's a corrupted installation you should be able to download the installer from your customer area on sdl.com and reinstall it - I believe it will repair the previous installation in this case.

[Edited at 2013-07-20 16:07 GMT]

Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 22:14
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Trial version maybe? Jul 20, 2013

Hi Sian,
Sorry to hear about this problem, I hope that the losses are minimal.
Can you install the trial version? It will give you 30 days of free usage to finish this project.

HTH

Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 22:14
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Another CAT tool trial version? Jul 20, 2013

John Fossey wrote:

You can install a trial of SDL Studio on another machine, not on the same machine. It should work for 30 days.

But you can't install a trial on a machine that already has Studio installed.

If John's suggestion of re-installing Trados is not doable at the moment, and you absolutely have to use the same machine, you could install the trial version of another CAT tool that is able of handling your existing .xliff files to finish the urgent project. Perhaps a tool that you're familiar with. Then you could figure out how to re-install Studio.

Châu Nguyễn  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 02:14
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Plan your back up Jul 20, 2013

Seems like you have your answer. For the future, I think you may want to use some of the real life-saver out there such as Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive. They are online file synchronizing services. Your files will be upload and store on cloud server and in case you lose your computer, thank god, your files are still safe on the cloud.

In my case, I use Trados on 02 different computers. When I'm away I use one computer, working on my projects, save it, wait for syncing to complete, shut down the computer and go home. And when I'm home I can just resume my work with ease from the other computer.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:14
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes but.... Jul 20, 2013

Châu Nguyễn wrote:

Seems like you have your answer. For the future, I think you may want to use some of the real life-saver out there such as Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive. They are online file synchronizing services. Your files will be upload and store on cloud server and in case you lose your computer, thank god, your files are still safe on the cloud.

Yes, but if the problem is a networking problem (as in this case) your proposed future strategy won't help. It would be much better to make a complete clone of the hard drive to an external drive, preferably every day or even every hour. There are some excellent applications out there that will do this for you.

By having a complete clone on a physical drive, there are no worries about the network failing etc. I don't trust the Cloud.

[Edited at 2013-07-20 16:57 GMT]

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Jul 20, 2013

In the interim I have gone for several whole hogs, bought a new machine (on which I shall install full version of Trados when my beloved has finished failing to fix my other one), AND meanwhile downloaded the 30 day trial on his laptop, which I am in the process of setting up so about to reboot but wanted to come back here and see what people were saying - basically great minds (with the proviso that, no, I hadn't prepared in advance for this... boo) think alike so am on the right temporary track.

Expensive day. Sigh. Computer is not only 18 months old, I really thought I had a bit of money-earning space before having to invest in a spare.

PS Chau - the only trouble with online backup solutions (which I do use) is that you have to be able to get online... which I have been unable to do, network card issues, Windows probably needs reinstalling, etc.

Thanks again all

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh no now what :( Jul 20, 2013

So, on my dead/dying machine, I can't open Trados. But I need to disactivate it. Which you do from inside the product. If you want to use the 'can't disactivate online' option, you still need the disactivation key, from within the product.

Eh? Well I obviously can't be the first person ever who has had a crash making it impossible for them to open Trados and obliging them to reinstall, but I honestly don't understand what I do next. I'm going to guess that I have to download the full product and disactivate in the new one and then activate again well I don't know. Damn stupid process, I've had much easier licensing management experiences.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Links Jul 20, 2013

Hi Sian,

Try the following links:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/245960-deactivating_license_for_a_dead_computer.html#2114459
http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3925

HTH,

Bernard

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great, Bernard, thanks! Jul 20, 2013

I've sent the 'lost my license' form off. Hope they work weekends!!

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:14
Member (2008)
French to English
Trial Jul 21, 2013

I don't think you should need to return your license to use the trial version on the new machine.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@John Jul 21, 2013

Hi, John, no, quite right, I'm using non-licensed trial version on my partner's laptop while setting up my new machine fully, so licensed version will go on there. Allows me to be running all the various setups and work at the same time (although partner's machine is all in French which slows me down rather!)

Thanks for your help

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent disaster recovery help

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search