Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:25
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 24, 2013

G'day everyone

Once again I'm forced to use SDL Edit to edit an ITD file. I'm desperately trying to find out how to perform two actions in SDL Edit, and I'm hoping that there is actually a way to do it.

The first action is to overwrite the current segment's text with the source text. In other words, to insert the source text into the target field. Can that be done in SDL Edit using either a keyboard shortcut or a sequence of menu items?

The second actkion is to select all text in the target field of the current segment. In all my other CAT tools, Ctrl+A does the trick, but SDL Edit doesn't listen to Ctrl+A. The only way I have been able to figure out to select all text is to click in the box with the number, but I'm hoping for a method that can be done using the keyboard only.

Thanks
Samuel

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
F4 Jul 24, 2013

Hi Samuel,

F4 copies source to target, to select the whole text can't think of a better way than yours. Why don't you open it in Studio?

Never had any problems processing itd files in Studio, except for the segment colour issue but that can be fixed too.

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-07-24 19:33 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Bernhard Jul 24, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:
Why don't you open it in Studio?

I'm trying to reduce the complexity of the task, not increase it.
icon_smile.gif

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:25
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Workaround for selecting the whole target segment Jul 24, 2013

Upon placing the cursor at the beginning of the segment you should try Shift+End, which highlights the whole line, and then Shift+Down Arrow until reaching the bottom line.

Saludos

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jorge Jul 25, 2013

Jorge Payan wrote:
Upon placing the cursor at the beginning of the segment you should try Shift+End, which highlights the whole line, and then Shift+Down Arrow until reaching the bottom line.

Yes, thanks, that action will move me to the end of the line, but not to the end of the segment, so if I use it I would have to watch closely, and pause before the next keypress to ensure that I have indeed selected everything... and this reduces my speed. It's like having e.g. a Delete button that only works sometimes -- you have to watch more closely at what happens on the screen, because you can't "trust" your keyboard fingers.

I have figured out how to move to the end of the segment, but then I can't move back to the start of the segment to select the whole segment. To move to the end of the segment, press Enter and then press the left-arrow once. It has the side-effect of marking the segment blue, though.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Click in front of column Jul 25, 2013

To select the whole segment you just click the cell in front of the segment. That will highlight the segment and you can copy and past the normal way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two actions needed for SDL Edit

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search