https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/253358-studio_2011_why_2_output_tms_for_one_2007_input_tmw.html

Studio 2011: Why 2 output TMs for one 2007 input tmw?
Thread poster: PapagenoX
PapagenoX
PapagenoX
Local time: 04:58
Jul 24, 2013

Hello all-- I can't figure out why this is happening. When I convert my .tmw memories from Trados 2007, I get two identical seeming output files, same size, same number of TUs, everything. Why would Studio 2011 do this? BTW, the tmw file in question contained around 194,000 units, but only 187K or so were imported into the new ones.

Thanks for any advice/help,

José

PapagenoX
PapagenoX
TOPIC STARTER
No reply? Aug 8, 2013

Bump.

So really, no one has any idea why this could be happening? Any official SDL Trados people here that could shed some light?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:58
English
An explanation.. maybe? Aug 8, 2013

Hello José,

Let's deal with the two translation memories first. Studio has three basic options which can affect what you get when you upgrade a TM. The main reason is because you can upgrade as many TMs as you like in different language pairs and different formats so when you do this the options make more sense. The options are:

The third option, that I h
... See more
Hello José,

Let's deal with the two translation memories first. Studio has three basic options which can affect what you get when you upgrade a TM. The main reason is because you can upgrade as many TMs as you like in different language pairs and different formats so when you do this the options make more sense. The options are:

The third option, that I highlighted here is a custom option and so it provides all possible language directions for the TMs you added. If you add one TM you get two possibilities. So if you upgrade using this then you will get two TMs.

When you lose TUs in the import the reasons could be several. But normally if you have number only segments (can be any recognised placeable on it's own) then Studio does not need them and so will discard every repeated TU after the first one; duplicate TUs... the older TMs are often full of them, so Studio will discard or merge the ones it doesn't need. Also corrupted TUs... we see these quite often in the legacy TMs and STudio will leave these out too. Matters can get even more complicated where the originating tool for the TMX put multiple translations into a single TMX TU (like SDLX for example)...

Does this help a bit?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

PapagenoX
PapagenoX
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but I'm not choosing that option Aug 8, 2013

Hi again, Paul--thanks for the reply.

The strange thing is, I'm not choosing that option--I'm choosing the first button. Also, for some reason it's only happening with our English-Spanish memory from Trados 2007, and as near as I can tell, both output files are identical. (I just started the conversion process on our English [US] to French [Canada] TM and it appears to be creating only one output file.)

As far as the loss of units goes, I think that at some point mayb
... See more
Hi again, Paul--thanks for the reply.

The strange thing is, I'm not choosing that option--I'm choosing the first button. Also, for some reason it's only happening with our English-Spanish memory from Trados 2007, and as near as I can tell, both output files are identical. (I just started the conversion process on our English [US] to French [Canada] TM and it appears to be creating only one output file.)

As far as the loss of units goes, I think that at some point maybe TUs labeled English (US) to Spanish (Latin America) were imported into the old .tmw in question, despite the fact that the memory is officially English (US) to Spanish (Spain). Would that cause a problem, either with the duplicate output or the loss of units?

José aka PapagenoX
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:58
English
Interesting... Aug 9, 2013

Hello José,

That's interesting... can I have a copy of the TM that does this? It would be useful to see what causes this for you but the multilingual aspect seems a likely culprit because Studio is quite (read very) strict on sublanguages. I have not tested this but would have initially thought the TUs would be discarded if they didn't match, but an upgrade rather than an import may well create an additional... but
... See more
Hello José,

That's interesting... can I have a copy of the TM that does this? It would be useful to see what causes this for you but the multilingual aspect seems a likely culprit because Studio is quite (read very) strict on sublanguages. I have not tested this but would have initially thought the TUs would be discarded if they didn't match, but an upgrade rather than an import may well create an additional... but I would not have expected a duplicate.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

PapagenoX
PapagenoX
TOPIC STARTER
I'll send via email Aug 9, 2013

Paul, I'll try to email it to you (if I don't run into attachment size restrictions).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: Why 2 output TMs for one 2007 input tmw?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »