Recognition of Excel embedded data
Thread poster: John Fossey

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:42
Member (2008)
French to English
Jul 25, 2013

I recently completed translation of some Excel files which had embedded charts. The chart labels were text (100 worksheets of them!) but they were uneditable from the Excel workbook and Studio 2011 couldn't see the labels. I was able to edit them manually by breaking open the Excel file (convert it to a zip file, unzip it and find the Chart XML files - one file for each chart - inside the internal file structure, edit the labels manually then reverse the process).

Is there some way to get Studio or another CAT tool to edit charts embedded in Excel directly? This is a document that I am going to be having to do from time to time so I would certainly like some software that would do the work inside Excel for me, rather than have to go through that again. Since I could access the chart data manually it shouldn't be too difficult for the software to do it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 08:42
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
xls or xlsx files? Jul 25, 2013

Some xlsx (or docx, pptx) files may contain embedded objects created by previous Office versions (2003). AFAIK only Deja Vu X can import these legacy embedded objects.

Selcuk

Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
xlsx Jul 25, 2013

Sorry, I should have specified - they are xlsx, not xls. I believe xls are binary files which can't be unzipped that way. The embedded objects are charts, probably created within Excel itself.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 08:42
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
DVX2 again Jul 25, 2013

Many Excel files are created in 2003 and then saved as xlsx format and contain these legacy objects. DVX2 can convert them into new format and import.

Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
2007 Jul 25, 2013

Yes, but I don't have any reason to think that any legacy files are involved.

[Edited at 2013-07-25 22:47 GMT]

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:42
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Embedded BIN objects Jul 26, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Some xlsx (or docx, pptx) files may contain embedded objects created by previous Office versions (2003). AFAIK only Deja Vu X can import these legacy embedded objects.
Selcuk

Here's an approach to that problem for those who use other tools:

http://www.translationtribulations.com/2012/08/coping-with-embedded-bin-objects-in-ms.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recognition of Excel embedded data

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search