https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/253526-2011_spellcheck_strangeness.html

2011 Spellcheck strangeness
Thread poster: William Pairman
William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:33
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Jul 26, 2013

Apologies if this has been done...

Is the Spellcheck really strange for everyone? I get the oddest suggested corrections...

restricciones - smartphones / internationalization / restriction
poliuretano - smartphone / polyurethane
situaciones - smartphones / internationalization / loquaciousness / situation

Poor, for such an expensive product

Jonathan Fray
Jonathan Fray
United States
Local time: 08:33
Portuguese to English
+ ...
MS Word Spell Checker Jul 27, 2013

Hi William,

What spell checker are you using? In Studio 2011 if you go to Tools>Options then on the left side click Editor>Spelling you will see spell checker options. I've noticed that the standard Hunspell is not very good for my language pair which is Portuguese. Change it to MS Word Spell checker and you will get the same spell checker that is in all your Office tools.
Have you tried that? Make sure you have "Check spelling as you type" as well.

Regards,
... See more
Hi William,

What spell checker are you using? In Studio 2011 if you go to Tools>Options then on the left side click Editor>Spelling you will see spell checker options. I've noticed that the standard Hunspell is not very good for my language pair which is Portuguese. Change it to MS Word Spell checker and you will get the same spell checker that is in all your Office tools.
Have you tried that? Make sure you have "Check spelling as you type" as well.

Regards,
Jonathan
Collapse

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestion Jonathan Jul 29, 2013

I checked the MS option as you suggested ( "Check spelling as you type" was already ticked) but it didn't highlight any spelling mistakes, so I had to go back to Hunspell and its surreal suggestions

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Office spellchecker should work Jul 29, 2013

if you have an Office version installed. Also, you should update the Hunspell dictionaries if you haven't done that:
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/search?f[0]=field_project_tags%3A157

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2011 Spellcheck strangeness

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »