Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation
Thread poster: John Fossey

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:24
Member (2008)
French to English
Jul 30, 2013

20 minutes to delivery deadline and SDL Studio 2011 throws another of its incomprehensible error messages.

I am just wrapping up a long project translating a TTX file, from a DOCX original. I have been translating the TTX and have to return the translated TTX and the target DOCX.

When I come to generate the target DOCX, to check for final delivery, it throws an error:

"Failed to save target content. An error occurred whilst converting the ttx file to a native file. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

I have run the tag check and there are no tag errors or warnings. There are hundreds of notes, all relating to spaces added or removed adjacent to tags, but these are necessary due to the language requirements. They shouldn't throw an error.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
No solution Jul 31, 2013

I was unable to produce the DOCX file so had to send the client the TTX file only.

Fortunately the client has Trados 2007 with which it was able to use with the translated TTX to produce the target DOCX. I was unable to check the final DOCX for consistency, formatting errors, etc., as I usually do.

Something in Studio 2011 needs to be fixed. I hope SDL is listening.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:24
French to German
+ ...
Irony Jul 31, 2013

The fix will be coming soon, it is called... Studio 2014.

Mark
Italian to English
Hey! Jul 31, 2013

SDL Studio 2011 throws another of its incomprehensible error messages.

"… Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."
You've hit on my all-time favourite impenetrable error message! I love the fact that every single word is purest English, but someone's converted it into computerish drivel nevertheless.

I don't know if I can say anything useful about actually solving your problem, but for what it's worth, I always see it when (old) Trados's spell-checking plugin is conflicting with an active Word session. I log off (to make absolutely sure that the Word session closes) and the problem tends to go away.

I don't know anything about the rest of it I'm afraid.

Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Throwing things Jul 31, 2013

Mark Dobson wrote:

SDL Studio 2011 throws another of its incomprehensible error messages.

"… Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."
You've hit on my all-time favourite impenetrable error message! I love the fact that every single word is purest English, but someone's converted it into computerish drivel nevertheless.

Well, if I'm the target of an invocation I might throw something too... About how I felt yesterday evening.

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Don't shoot the messenger... Jul 31, 2013

Please bear in mind that I'm not a fan of Trados (in any of its incarnations), but I have to concede that a lot of these issues spring from misuse. I know this can rub you in the wrong way considering the tool has just failed you in a moment of need, but please believe me when I say that the following is meant with the best of intentions to help you in the long run:

I am just wrapping up a long project translating a TTX file, from a DOCX original. I have been translating the TTX and have to return the translated TTX and the target DOCX.

If you're using Studio 2011, where did the .ttx file come from? Was it generated by the client? If this is the case, then it's really the wrong workflow to expect you to be able to clean it up, since this is many times completely impossible (even if you both use the exact same Trados version, including service packs and patches, and the exact same Word version, even then you cannot be certain this will work at all).

If it was you that generated the .ttx, how was it generated and why did you chose this format? With 2011 you should be using sldxliff files for all your projects, and if the client requests a .ttx you can generate one *after* completion and not to work with (also, this .ttx is mostly a reference file, an abstruse way to send a TM, and not a file that will actually clean up on their end).

Regardless of the format, the correct workflow should have been to create workfiles/import the files provided by the client, copy the source to the target, and export/clean-up the resulting files *prior* to begin translating, to ensure you were going to be able to deliver what they asked in the first place. This workflow would have detected any issues right away.

Mind you, I agree Trados is one of the most unfriendly pieces of software ever, and this catch-all generic message is so liberally used as to be rendered meaningless (if it was not obscurely worded already), but I think the issue here is that they cannot pinpoint the exact reason for the failure due to the workflow used.

We can of course debate on the reasonable assumption that with Trados you should be able to work with .ttx files seamlessly and that no compatibility issues should be expected, but... alas, that's marketing for you!

Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Workflow Jul 31, 2013

Well, I agree the workflow may not be the best one. Unfortunately it was set by my client and the end user. If I had my 'druthers I'd skip the TTX altogether.

My agency client is one of the larger agencies, with offices worldwide, and they have to supply their client - the linguists branch of a national government department - with the DOCX and the TTX. Being government, the end user no doubt has no budget to upgrade to Studio. The agency pretranslated the TTX for me and provided both files. This is the workflow they use for a very substantial number of documents. And apparently it works for "everyone else" (as it worked for me the last time).

Of course, in Studio I am working in the SDLXLIFF file - the TTX is the interim target and the DOCX is the final target. But next time I will try your suggestion of attempting to produce a target DOCX from the pretranslated TTX before starting translation.

Actually, the main beef I have is the incomprehensible and meaningless (to me) error message. Software tends to "throw" errors, but most software catches error messages and displays them in some way that is meaningful to the user. I think Studio just displays the raw Java error message, which doesn't mean anything to anyone but a Java programmer (which I am not).

[Edited at 2013-07-31 22:33 GMT]

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Awful workflow... Jul 31, 2013

Yeah, I hear you, most agencies still use .ttx files as if they were exchange formats... there's absolutely no foolproof way to guarantee that specific workflow will work (I bet it worked before with .doc files, not with .docx... and I seriously doubt "everyone else" is not having issues too!  :)

Still, they shouldn't expect their translators to clean-up a file pre-translated/segmented by them! (how can you know they didn't inadvertently make a small change to the original .docx file before sending it your way?).

The copy source to target step really is a good idea for all projects, but even more so if the workflow is, let's say, "questionable".

If they insist on working this way and you find the same issue, you can still deliver everything without them being none the wiser, albeit with considerable more work on your side:

1) Create your own project, translate the .docx, send it to your TM, export it and review the file to your heart's content (importing changes, if any).
2) Open their pre-translated .ttx and resolve it against your TM.
3) Correct this file (depending on the segmentation used and the number of tags this could be a breeze or a nightmare, but all the "content" is already there in the TM for sure).
4) Save this .ttx file and send it to them with the .docx from step 1.

Will they be able to generate a .docx with this .ttx you sent them? Undoubtedly. Will this be the exact same .docx you sent them? No, but this was never the case if you usually make changes to the Word file before delivery (format tweaking, etc.).

I completely agree about the error messages; I believe there is a huge disconnect between the requirements and expectations of the users of the software (language professionals, PMs, etc.) and the people that actually make the software.

How could they not foresee (or refused to believe, I don't know) the thousand imaginative ways people would find to use their software simply because it was (seemingly) possible? Most of the issues that keep coming up in these forums are compatibility issues...

Sander Van de Moortel  Identity Verified
China
English to Dutch
+ ...
still here in Trados 2014 Jun 20, 2014

I was translating a few .rtf's from my client in the all-new Trados 2014 and I got the same error again. Can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet!

Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solution found Jun 20, 2014

I see this thread has come back to life.

I found a very satisfactory solution to this problem. It was....

I switched to MemoQ.

Never looked back. MemoQ handles SDL files directly - .sdlxliff, .ttx, SDL Studio projects, etc., etc. It's fast, easy to use, light weight and mostly trouble-free.

I am able to work with Trados clients and they either don't know nor don't care that I'm not using SDL Trados.

As with any software, I have had about 2 or 3 issues that needed customer support and when I did an email to MemoQ technical support was answered and resolved by a support engineer within the hour.

[Edited at 2014-06-20 11:17 GMT]

gra  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Irony: Studio 2014 means no solution Jul 18, 2014

the same mesage keeps appearing, and yesterday I had the bad idea of installing the updates!!!!! Any solution?

Thank you!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
If you can send me the files... Jul 18, 2014

... I'll take a look at this problem for you. I would need your translated sdlxliff and the original source file.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

MariaPazMarinas
Argentina
Same problem Apr 30, 2015

Hi, I am having the same problem you described with Studio 2014. Did anyone learn how to fix it?

Thanks!

jarwis

Local time: 17:24
English to Finnish
Same problem Oct 6, 2015

I have SDL Trados Studio 2001 SP2R - 10.4.3123.2 (latest updates) and a simple five page long .RTF-file (133 kB).

Generate Target Translations (finalize) stops with the error message "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation".

Any ideas for a solution?

[Edited at 2015-10-06 10:51 GMT]

Alexey Tsapov
Ukraine
Local time: 17:24
Member (2015)
English to Russian
+ ...
MemoQ is the best Dec 30, 2015

Just had the same problem.
I was unable to convert *.sdlxliff into target *.xls
So I made TM from this file, than TMX.
Opened MemoQ (R14, but it doesn't matter) and created a new project from source file and new MemoQ-TM from TMX.
Automatic translation -> QA (MemoQ handles strings slightly different from Trados) -> seamless export into target *.xls.

I do like Studio but for many tasks use MemoQ instead of it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search