internal fuzzy matches again
Thread poster: Eileen Cartoon

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:18
Italian to English
Aug 1, 2013

I'm working with Studio 2011 and have had an issue with analysis of files where the files don't have much from the TM but they do have a lot of fuzzy matches. I looked at all the posts and did a bit of surfing and found a lot of references to checking the box for Reporting internal fuzzy batch leverage.
And so, after finishing and delivering I started playing to see if I could overcome the problem for teh future but no luck.

First I got 634 repetitions 0 (95%) 0 (85%) 0 (75%) 0 (50%) and 3136 no match
After a first attempt I got 634 repetitions 227 (95%) 134 (85%) 87 (75%) 46 (50%) and 3136 no match

But after doing the translation and clicking analyze again I got
634 repetitions 65 repetitions 2659 context match 257 (100%) 211 (95%) 189 (85%) 69 (75%) 21(50%) and 794 no match

So what can I do to obviate this problem. This problem can invalidate my quoting and would like to avoid it happening again. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help.
Eileen

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
I'm a little confused :-) Aug 1, 2013

Hi Eileen,

You mentioned you translated the files and then analysed again. My first question is why would you do this for a quote? This leads to my first conclusion as well because if you translated the files and added them to your TM then the analysis will be different.

My second question is if you are actually repeating the analysis with the same files but in a different order then I think this can also affect the analysis. Did you do this?

Sorry for the questions... but I'm not 100% sure how best to answer your question yet.

Regards

Paul

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Paul Aug 1, 2013

Tanks for answering,
I was curious because the text I translated clearly had more fuzzies than the log told me.
For example, it was for 3 products with the different names for the same purpose and where the text was exactly the same except for the product name. There were lots of sentences like this but since there was nothing in the original TM they did not show up. This means that I was not getting internal fuzzies. I tried activating the the report internal fuzzies and then tried creating a new project (without TM) and still got less. I don't know why. But as I did the translation it was clear that there was a lot more than were being reported.

I've been playing because I want to learn what I did wrong for the future. The question about quoting wasn't for this time, it was to avoid this from happening in the future.
Thanks
Again
Eileen

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Let's not talk about internal fuzzy matches again Aug 1, 2013

Hi Eileen,

There are several ways to compute virtual fuzzies. The next generation of CAT tools will certainly have a Optimize document order to squeeze 70 cents more out of a project. But never forget that a translator giving discounts for virtual fuzzies is like a house painter giving a discount for painting the adjacent room because it has the same colour. Internal fuzzies are our fuzzies! Why should we reward people whose only added value before translation is to run one or two smart programmes that temporarily copy source to target to come up with fuzzies from a virtual TM?

I'm a 50% virtual match of my wife (and maybe of our dogs too).

Cheers,
Gerard

[Edited at 2013-08-01 21:41 GMT]

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not sure I agree Aug 2, 2013

I don't think the painter analogy is really apt. They have to do all the work for the second room. In my case, I have Whole paragraphs that are exactly the same except for the name of the product name A instead of B. Whereas the painter has to actually do ALL the work (except perhaps mixing the color). I don't. ANd I think some of this (not all!!!) should be passed on to the to the customer.

Paul, instead I would like to ask you.: I read anotehr thread where they mentioned making a pseudo translation to catch fuzzies but I don't really understand what that entails. Any ideas?
Eileen

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Painters and translators Aug 2, 2013

Dear Eileen,

I've painted many rooms and it saves hours when you don't have to change brushes and buckets all the time - when painting and when cleaning your brushes afterwards.

The way you treat TUs spoils all the fun us translators can derive from them. When you maintain your TMs like you should and all of a sudden you can translate 30 minutes of work within 2 minutes because of your resources, than that is your work and the money you've invested in CAT.

If the client presents you with a TM and fuzzies based on former translations into your target language, it's up to you. Some people give discounts for fuzzies.

If an agency creates a virtual TM and uses Copy source when no match to create new virtual TUs, then the only aim of the agency is to reduce costs. Eileen, can we agree on that, at least?

Cheers,
Gerard

United Kingdom
English
Possible problem... Aug 5, 2013

... is that this only works properly when the files are merged, or on single files. So if you have fuzzies across the files the report does not reflect this properly.

On the pseudo translation idea... I'm not sure how this would help but if you can reference the thread it may be worth looking at?

Regards

Paul

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Paul Aug 5, 2013

This is where I found the indication. You can take a look and see what you think.

http://www.gts-translation.com/gtsblog/2012/05/22/another-way-to-leverage-translation-memory-software-and-save-money/

United Kingdom
English
ok - I see what the idea was... Aug 5, 2013

... but you don't need to do any real translation for just the analysis. It's a bit like "use TM from previous analysis" in Trados... so do this:

1. Create a project with the first file(s) against an empty TM.
2. Copy all source to target, set all as translated.
3. Update the empty TM with all the TUs.
4. Create a project with the second file(s), using the TM created in the first run.
5. Run the analysis and get the cross file fuzzy matches as well as exact matches.

Much of this could be automated using the professional version, and of course if you could merge your files then there is no need to do this at all as the internal fuzzy analysis would pick up everything in there for you.

The tricky part is getting the order of the files right. So if you had ten files, the order can have a significant impact on the supposed benefit.

It's an interesting concept but as noted here it's also a fairly controversial one. Project Managers aside, it might be useful for a translator who wanted to see how much benefit they might be getting from their TM for estimating timescales... but probably quite sophisticated and for small projects probably not worth it (IMHO).

Regards

Paul

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul Aug 5, 2013

To be perfectly honest, I have heard such horror stories about merged files that I have never tried. But I think I will in the future because if I can get the best leverage it is better all round.
Thanks for being so helpful.
Eileen

United Kingdom
English
You'll also find... Aug 5, 2013

... that in Studio 2014 it's much easier and faster to merge files whenever you like. So you don't have to merge them when the project is created.

But have a go now too. The best approach is to always create your project and immediately afterwards make sure you can still generate all of your target translations. This way you will be fine.

I think most of the horror stories come from people merging sdlxliff files extracted from a Project Package where the files were not merged to begin with. This problem will also disappear with Studio 2014.

Regards

Paul

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Paul Aug 20, 2013

Thanks for your help. I have merged files and they have worked smoothly. Now I have another question:
If my client sends me a series of sdlxlff files, can I create a project with the single files and merge them or does this have to be done from the original file format?

Thanks again
Eileen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

internal fuzzy matches again

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search