Thread poster: Regina Freitag

Regina Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:25
English to German
+ ...
Aug 3, 2013

Dear colleagues,

after translating a word file (rich text) from English into German, I cleaned it up and realised that after that, all the Umlauts and other characters (ä, ö, ü, ß, ´) are now changed into other symbols.

While translating, I actually had the same problem, when (although in the workbench it looked fine). When I had fuzzy matches and the translation appeared in the segment, I had to change the umlauts and ß too. So in the unclean version all was fine, but after the clean-up, all typical German characters were changed to other symbols, and many different ones too.

Would anyone know a quick way to change that, apart from spell check, as it's quite a long file?

(I tried converting it to a doc file, marked everything and chose German in the word file, but nothing worked.) I have both Trados 2011 and 2007 on my computer. For this file, I used Trados 2007 on the word file, as Trados 2011 can't be opened. But usually, when 2001 was defect, 2007 still worked. So I'm not sure if it got anything to do with that.)

Kind regards,

Regina

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:25
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Search & replace Aug 3, 2013

Most probably, you can do it by running search and replace routine, and a good idea would be writing a simple macro for such a task. However, what exactly are the characters that you see instead of äöüß etc?

Regina Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:25
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved! Aug 3, 2013

Thank you for your help, esperantisto!icon_smile.gif

But I just managed to do it via the Macros. I went on "view", "macros", and there on "tw4winClean.Main". I didn't think of that before, but then I remembered this is a way to detour the workbench. And this way it finally worked.icon_smile.gif

Kind regards,

Regina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

After clean-up German "umlauts" changed into other symbols

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search