https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/253894-how_to_%22return%22_licenses_after_a_hard_drive_crash.html

How to "return" licenses after a hard drive crash
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 4, 2013

Hello everyone

I'm reinstalling everything after my hard disk stopped working last week. I understand that there is a special procedure for returning my Trados licenses (for 2007 and 2011) that allows me to continue using the software, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Do you know of a page or video that explains the procedure in case a license was not returned before it is installed on a new computer?

Thanks
Samuel

Mugdha Ghate
Mugdha Ghate
India
Local time: 21:15
Member (2012)
English to Marathi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hope this helps. Aug 4, 2013

Hi Samuel,

I faced the same problem last month.. Please check the link below

Hope it helps

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=4295&source=Article&c=12&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4295

Regards
Srujaa

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Helps for 2007, but not for 2011 Aug 4, 2013

Thanks, this procedure helped for Trados 2007, but I still can't figure out how to force return the licence for Trados 2011. Can anyone help with that, please?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You can't.... Aug 4, 2013

... so raise a case through the solution finder. Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- I have lost one of my license activations and would like to have it reset.

Pick the correct route for you and if appropriate you will be presented with a form that you can fill in to generate
... See more
... so raise a case through the solution finder. Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- I have lost one of my license activations and would like to have it reset.

Pick the correct route for you and if appropriate you will be presented with a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day.

Also make sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:45
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Open a ticket Aug 5, 2013

The same thing happened to me and SDL customer service reset the license within a day.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Paul Aug 5, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
... so raise a case through the solution finder.

Thanks, I did that now. I did tell my Trados clients that I wouldn't be able to do Trados jobs for two weeks, so I'm not in trouble yet. Now I just have to go figure out why the Wordfast site is always, always down and where I can find alternative installation files for that.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Two weeks? Aug 5, 2013

Hi Samuel,

If you rebuilt your operating system then you should be able to run 2011 in demo mode for a month. Maybe this happened a while ago?

Regards

Paul

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Demo mode Aug 5, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
If you rebuilt your operating system then you should be able to run 2011 in demo mode for a month.

Yes, I saw that, thanks. I just prefer to get everything "sorted out" in the first week or two after a crash, and not rely on demo modes (you tend to forget that you're in demo mode, until a long weekend when it stops working and you're busy with a large job). I told clients "two weeks" simply because I know that anything can go wrong (and, as it happens, disasters truly come in threes, and I'm glad I didn't take on large jobs for this week yet (including jobs that don't require any special software)).

[Edited at 2013-08-05 08:09 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Truly sensible! Aug 5, 2013

I guess this comes with experience

Regards

Paul

Marwa Shehata
Marwa Shehata  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
web form never load Apr 22, 2014

Hello,
The same thing happened to me. I have tried to follow the steps here but the web form never load.
Thanks

Marilena Berca
Marilena Berca  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pop-up blocker Apr 23, 2014

Hello Marwa,

I followed the same steps and there is a pop-up blocker that you need to disable in your browser so that you could see the form.

I hope it helps.

Marwa Shehata wrote:

Hello,
The same thing happened to me. I have tried to follow the steps here but the web form never load.
Thanks

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If not the pop up blocker... Apr 23, 2014

Marwa Shehata wrote:

Hello,
Thanks

... then it is most likely just a browser issue. If you have Google Chrome try that, but if you still can't make it work then drop me an email with your details so I know who you are and I'll log this for you.

Regards

Paul

Marwa Shehata
Egypt
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks Apr 24, 2014

Marilena Berca wrote:

Hello Marwa,

I followed the same steps and there is a pop-up blocker that you need to disable in your browser so that you could see the form.

I hope it helps.

Marwa Shehata wrote:

Hello,
Thanks

It did not work on Firefox but thanks anyway.

Marwa Shehata
Egypt
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Chrome worked Apr 24, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Marwa Shehata wrote:

Hello,
Thanks

... then it is most likely just a browser issue. If you have Google Chrome try that, but if you still can't make it work then drop me an email with your details so I know who you are and I'll log this for you.

Regards

Paul

I tried Chrome and it worked fine. I have submitted the form and now I am waiting for the response.
Thanks you very much Paul.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Contact them Apr 24, 2014

That is what I did, with 2009 and 2011. Within a few days all was well, I was even assigned a "moderator" who helped me through the whole process on distance. So, what is the problem? (Unless SDL changed its "friendly policy).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to "return" licenses after a hard drive crash

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »