Studio 2011 and InDesign CC
Thread poster: Sarah Forget

Sarah Forget  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:50
English to French
+ ...
Aug 5, 2013

The designers in my company have just upgraded to InDesign CC. The exported content is still an IDML file but the structure of the file compared to the previous version (InDesign 5.5) has changed. It is therefore not supported by Studio 2011 anymore.

I have two questions:

I am familiar with file types creation for XML files but IDML being it's own format, I am wondering if that's even possible.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Sarah

merinber
Germany
Local time: 01:50
German to English
InDesign CC Aug 5, 2013

Hi,
I'm afraid, you cannot create your own IDML file type. Only 4 "simple" text-based types are possible. Since I am unfamiliar with inDesign CC, I would suggest you contact SDL and ask them. The new version, Studio 2014, will offer new and improved file types.

Sarah Forget  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:50
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workaround Aug 7, 2013

The workaround to translate InDesign CC files with Trados Studio is actually pretty easy.
1. Change the file extension from idml to zip
2. Unzip the file
3. Open the xml file named designmap.xml
4. Find the following product="9.0(244)"
5. Change this line to product="8.0(370)" (this is the highest version Studio 2011 recognise at the moment)
6. Rezip all the files and folders
7. Change the file extension from zip to idml
8. Open your file in Trados and translate!

The best part is that the translated file will open in any InDesign product, so there is no need to do this on the translated file.

Sarah

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Just a word of caution Aug 7, 2013

Hi Sarah,

As we discussed this does appear to provide a mechanism for you to handle the file in Studio, but until we have verified all the changes between CS6 and CC this may not be the only difference.

So if anyone does use this workaround before we have provided a supporting filetype in Studio we'd be interested to hear your experience of how this went.

Kind regards

Paul

Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:50
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
A further problem Aug 12, 2013

Sarah, thank you for the workaround!

Unfortunately, trying it I ran into a further problem. Studio 2011 won't open the file, but gives an error message: ”The selected IDML file is invalid because required files are missing in IDML package. Probably file is corrupted.”

Also, InDesign CC won't open the tweaked file.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Culd be two things... Aug 12, 2013

... first of all you may have corrupted the file in editing it. Secondly there may be something else causing this because Adobe CC is not properly supported in Studio yet.

Can I see the original IDML?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 and InDesign CC

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search