Ideal installation sequence (or doesn't it matter)?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:15
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 5, 2013

G'day everyone (and Trados staff)

I'm installing programs on a new computer, and I want to install the following four programs: Microsoft Office 2003, Office 2010, Trados 2007, and Trados 2011. Is there an ideal sequence in which these should be installed, to ensure the least amount of incompatability? Or doesn't it really matter?

Thanks
Samuel

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Intuitive :) Aug 5, 2013

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

(...)

I'm installing programs on a new computer, and I want to install the following four programs: Microsoft Office 2003, Office 2010, Trados 2007, and Trados 2011. Is there an ideal sequence in which these should be installed, to ensure the least amount of incompatability? Or doesn't it really matter?

MS Office 2003 (including patches).
Restart.
Trados 2007.
Multiterm 2007 if you need (otherwise, you should avoid it, see below).
Restart, Windows update.
Office 2010 (including patches).
Studio 2011 and Multiterm 2011 (including patches).
Restart, Windows update.
Trados 2007 and Multiterm 2007 patches and hotfixes (the SDL guys screwed up the setup routine for Studio, if T2007 is patched, Studio can't be installed).
Restart, Windows update.

Please, note, the Multiterm setup for Trados 2007 is designed in an extremely unprofessional way, you can fully use only one Multiterm version in TagEditor, so select carefully your patch level (or don't patch it at all if you must use M2007).

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-08-06 08:54 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe not all necessary... Aug 5, 2013

To install the software mentioned here this is probably enough:

Trados 2007 Suite (including patches)

I used to run this (not on anything as old as XP... but how far do we go?) and never did more than that.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2013-08-06 10:17 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul and Grzegorz Aug 5, 2013

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
Trados 2007.
Multiterm 2007 if you need (otherwise, you should avoid it, see below).
Restart, Windows update.
Restart, Windows update.

and:

SDL Support wrote:

These two methods mirror my own feeling of "oldest first, newest last", although I was thinking more the way Paul describes it, i.e. first get MS Word to work perfectly and then add the other stuff on top of it.

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
Trados 2007 and Multiterm 2007 patches and hotfixes (the SDL guys screwed up the setup routine for Studio, if T2007 is patched, Studio can't be installed).

Thanks, I'll take that under advisement... although I don't really use MultiTerm (or at all).

Say, is there a list of all patches and hotfixes anywhere? Right now my installers are:
* SDLTrados2007Suite_FL_863_CD.exe
* SDLTradosStudio2011_SP2_3046.exe
* SDLMultiTermDesktop2011_SP2_361.exe

Or does Trados come with an automated patcher that you can run and it will download all necessary patches?

United Kingdom
English
Studio and Multiterm do... Aug 5, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Say, is there a list of all patches and hotfixes anywhere? Right now my installers are:
* SDLTrados2007Suite_FL_863_CD.exe
* SDLTradosStudio2011_SP2_3046.exe
* SDLMultiTermDesktop2011_SP2_361.exe

Or does Trados come with an automated patcher that you can run and it will download all necessary patches?

... but for Trados you should look in the KB and apply them manually, starting with this one which is a cumulative update so it should be enough:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3368&source=article&c=12&cid=23

If you have issues when trying to use MT 2011 in TagEditor then this patch may be useful:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4017&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Otherwise I think you're good to go. You didn't mention your Office builds and one important note is that if you wish to use the Trados toolbars in Word then don't install the 64-bit version of Office 2010. You can use the 32-bit version on a 64-bit o/s. But if you don't use this and only need TagEditor and Workbench then it doesn't matter.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
One more addition... Aug 5, 2013

... as you didn't mention whether you wanted to use the Trados Toolbars in Word or not. But after speaking to Richard (in SDL Support) he mentioned that Office 2003 uses *.dot template, Office 2010 *.dotm. So if you have both templates in the startup folder you might get a problem.

But if you open one, for example Office 2010, and have both templates *.dot and *.dotm in the startup folder it will load both.

You will always need to check what template in the ribbon you use.

But maybe this is not important for you at all?

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Aug 5, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
For Trados you should look in the KB and apply them manually, starting with this one which is a cumulative update so it should be enough:
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3368&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Thanks.

As for your other questions, I use TagEditor by itself (i.e. not with MultiTerm or with anything else that interacts with it, except for Workbench of course), and I don't use any version of Trados inside any version of MS Word at all.

You didn't mention your Office builds and one important note is that if you wish to use the Trados toolbars in Word then don't install the 64-bit version of Office 2010.

I actually started installing a 64-bit version of Office 2013 but the installer then told me that if I do that, then my 32-bit versions of Office (in my case Office 2003) will stop working.

SDL Support wrote:
But after speaking to Richard (in SDL Support) he mentioned that Office 2003 uses *.dot template, Office 2010 *.dotm. So if you have both templates in the startup folder you might get a problem.

Thanks for that information. I don't use any Trados macros in my MS Word, however, so that does not apply to me.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Setup routines... Aug 6, 2013

[quote]SDL Support wrote:

[quote]Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

(...)

To install the software mentioned here this is enough:

Studio (2009 or 2011, I don't remember) cannot be installed if Trados 2007 is properly patched, at least on some machines.
The File format update patch prevents the Studio setup.
You have a similar article in the KB.

I used to run this and never did more than that. The support teams run many more configurations and have VMs for all sorts...

I doubt it seriously.
E.g. the File format update for Trados 2007 Suite was not tested thoroughly on Windows XP and can't be installed properly although XP is still supported by Microsoft.
E.g. the InDesign filter is broken.
It can be fixed manually but the procedure is rather complex (one must unpack the installer and copy the files by hand).

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-08-06 09:14 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ideal installation sequence (or doesn't it matter)?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search