Why does the customer's wordcount and my wordcount differ so much?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 5, 2013

It's a large project on 54,000 words. And the customer first sent 2 textfiles to be imported in a new TM in Workbench 2007. I then begun to translate in TagEditor, but noted that the wordcount couldn't be correct. So I checked it, and compared to the customer's original analysis. The difference was huge, many thousand more new words! Then double-checked in Studio 2011, and received the same word count there.

The customer then sent 25 new TTX-files, and I was surprised because I thought they just had missed to send me a textfile to import into the TM. But with these 25 new TTX-files, the word count is the same! And the customer insists on that they get the same wordcount as earlier.

This is the first time I've run into this situation, because the differences are huge for new words, and each of the fuzzy intervals and 100 % matches.

What settings in Trados could cause this big difference? The material to be translated is nothing special, just a normal manual for an industrial machine.

Direct link Reply with quote

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:41
English to Polish
+ ...
Did the agency use Trados for the analysis? Aug 5, 2013

Sometimes they use other CATs, and other CATs can show fewer words than Trados.

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Ask your question again in a more formal way Aug 5, 2013

Different (versions of) tools can come up with a difference of several hundreds of regular words on a 50,000 word project but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

My guess is that you're both using Trados to count and that your client is applying internal fuzzies (virtual matches that might materialize during the project) and you aren't.

So you're seeing different Trados analyze results, not different word counts.

Cheers,
Gerard

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Paul (from SDL) explained it clearly once Aug 5, 2013

you can read his explanation at

http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4548#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4548

It explains very clearly the differences.

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Paul from SDL needs a formal question too Aug 5, 2013

Eileen Cartoon wrote:

you can read his explanation at

http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4548#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4548

It explains very clearly the differences.

Hi Eileen,

Its the virtual fuzzies hater again. I read the article you link to but in that article Paul from SDL only explains small differences, while Frederik is talking about a difference of thousands of words.

So we have to wait for Frederik to rephrase his problem in a way that allows us to help him.

Cheers,
Gerard

Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:41
Romanian to English
+ ...
Could be a format issue? Aug 5, 2013

Not sure if my answer helps, but I had a similar problem a while ago. As far as I recall, I got the correct wordcount / analysis (the one communicated by the client) when I changed the format (from docx to doc or viceversa, don't remember) of the original file, reopened it in TagEditor and ran the analysis on that file.

[Edited at 2013-08-05 21:36 GMT]

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply from the customer Aug 6, 2013

I received this reply from my customer:

Adjunto una captura de las propiedades de segmentación de las que habla Trados, por si fuera problema de penalizaciones en tu ordenador. He comparado ambos análisis y no es normal tantísima diferencia. He vuelto a hacerlo en dos versiones diferentes de Trados y sale el mismo recuento, con lo cual creo que puede que tu ordenador no cuente las coincidencias “fuzzy” o las cuente como “no match” directamente. En nuestro análisis tenemos 35.000 repeticiones del 100% y en el tuyo sólo 10.000, por ejemplo.

Vuelvo a adjuntar ttx, memorias y análisis para comprobar una vez más, siguiendo esa base de penalizaciones, si sigue dando error.

Voy a intentar hacer el análisis con memoQ para comprobar dónde está el error. En caso de que sea nuestro, hablaríamos con el cliente para que se pudiera pagar todo el trabajo, por supuesto.

I think he means my settings for penalties in Workbench (penalties for formatting etc.) is different from his:

Customer's penalty settings
http://screencast.com/t/VDgyjAKke8B

My penalty settings
http://screencast.com/t/nhV2MrkE

But as you can see, we have exactly the same penalty settings!

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The customer approved my wordcount! Aug 6, 2013

The customer finally approved my wordcount, said that his TM was corrupt.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search