Thread poster: Thomas Johansson

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:55
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 5, 2013

I'm using SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance to translate a Word file.

For memory, the client has sent me a folder containing an iix, mtf, mwf and tmw file. I assume these are memories from earlier versions of Trados.

When setting up the project, I somehow managed to connect one of these memories to the project, at which time Trados created a new TM in the form of an "SDL File-based Translation Memory". This worked fine, since in the course of the translation, suggestions were sometimes given from the TM for some of the segments.

I have now finished the translation, and it occurred to me to check if the TM has been updated with the new segments from the Word file but I get the impression it has not been updated - when searching the TM I cannot find any segment from the Word file I've translated.

What am I doing wrong here? Any ideas?
The client has asked to get the updated TM back.

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:55
German to English
Need to actuate TM update feature Aug 6, 2013

Unfortunately, just importing a TM doesn't automatically turn on updating. You also have to manually select this feature, something I find cumbersome.

A colleague here on ProZ posted the following on her blog. I've found these instructions to be very clear:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/02/27/update-tm/

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:55
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
The .tmw won't be updated Aug 6, 2013

Thanks, Kevin, for recommending my blog article!

One other idea, Thomas, is to make sure you're looking to see if the .sdltm has been updated, not the .tmw that you imported to begin with and that Studio converted.

When you've found the updated TM, you'll need to export it as a tmx to return it to your client.

HTH,
Emma

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Which TM are you referring to? Aug 6, 2013

Thomas Johansson wrote:

When setting up the project, I somehow managed to connect one of these memories to the project, at which time Trados created a new TM in the form of an "SDL File-based Translation Memory". This worked fine, since in the course of the translation, suggestions were sometimes given from the TM for some of the segments.

I have now finished the translation, and it occurred to me to check if the TM has been updated with the new segments from the Word file but I get the impression it has not been updated - when searching the TM I cannot find any segment from the Word file I've translated.

Hi Thomas,

Apologies if I'm off the mark here, but my take on what you have written here is that you attached a TMW (Trados 2007 TM) but didn't realise that Studio actually upgraded this, hence your comment that at the same time Trados created a new TM in the form of an "SDL File-based Translation Memory".

I think you then looked in your TMW afterwards and could not see any updates? Would this be correct?

Studio can read a TMW if you use the Trados 2007 TM Plugin from the OpenExchange, but it cannot update it. If you open a TMW by adding to your Project then Studio will upgrade it as you have found. But as you work you will be updating the Studio TM and not the TMW as you are not connected to the TMW at all.

So I would suggest you first see whether you have been updating your work into the Studio TM and if you have then perhaps export to TMX from there and send that to your customer.

Regards

Paul

Perilla Piolon  Identity Verified
Belgium
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Populate tm Aug 6, 2013

Hi Thomas,

In Studio 2011you can "populate the project memory" before finalizing the files (Batch tasks -> Populate Project Translation memories).
That way you create a separate memory for this specific project (suitable for export as a tmx file if necessary).
You have to do it before you finalize the project though, if you don't, you need to revert your files to sdxliff format again before populating the project tm.

Kind regards,
Perilla

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Project Translation Memories Aug 6, 2013

Dear Perilla,

A good idea indeed... but please note that this is only possible if you created a Project TM in the first place by using this option when you set the Project up. So if you just used your Main TM then there won't be a Project TM to update.

In this case an export from the TM, or converting the SDLXLIFF to TMX is probably the way to go.

Regards

Paul

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:55
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
had to update main translation memories from batch tasks Aug 6, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

One other idea, Thomas, is to make sure you're looking to see if the .sdltm has been updated, not the .tmw that you imported to begin with and that Studio converted.

When you've found the updated TM, you'll need to export it as a tmx to return it to your client.

HTH,
Emma

Well, actually, it's the sdltm file that doesn't update... But now it seems I fixed it after following your advice no. 7, running the batch task Update Main Translation Memories (from the Files view, right-clicking the translated file and selecting Batch Tasks).

Since I had to do this in order to get the TM (sdltm file) updated, what did I do wrong to begin with? How can I avoid this in the future?

Thomas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why doesn't the TM update?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search