Thread poster: SofieM
SofieM  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:42
French to Danish
+ ...
Aug 6, 2013

Hello all,
I have experienced a strange behavior in Studio 2011. I have been translating a ttx. file from French into Danish and when I did a Find and Replace for a certain term in Danish, Studio 2011 also replaced this Danish word in the French source – at least in one segment.

That means that I now have a French source segment that contains Danish words, which is definitely not what I wanted. I have
not
ticked the box to allow source editing when creating my project. After this happened I have tried to tick the box to allow source editing to see if that could fix my problem, but to no avail.

So I really want to know what have happened and why, since my source now contains Danish words!

Has anybody encountered this before? I have tried searching this both on Proz and Google, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Any input would be appreciated!

Anne Sofie

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe you are mistaken? Aug 6, 2013

Hi Anne,

I think this is very unlikely for two reasons.

First the source is never changed in Studio by a find and replace. Secondly, even with "Edit Source" TTX is not supported and it works on a segment by segment basis anyway.

However... I have seen some strange things happen from time to time in all kinds of computer software so I can't preclude this altogether no matter how unlikely I think it is. Can you share the original TTX and help me to reproduce this effect?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Try this Aug 7, 2013

I discovered(?) a method some time ago which works with my version at least.

If you press Ctrl + H (Replace) and enter a word in the Find box that exists in the source text and select ’Look in’ either Selection or Current Document, finally click on ’Find next’, nothing happens (no hits).

But if you click first on Find tab, enter the word of source text to find, check ’Source text’ radiobutton and click on ’Find next’ the word will be found in the source text. Then, if I click on ’Replace’ tab then ’Replace All’, replacing takes place in the source text.

At me this works as described.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
At me too! Aug 7, 2013

Thanks István this is exactly why it proves I should be cautious before ruling anything out! You guys who use the software every day often find the little things you are not supposed to be able to do!

That workaround does two things I thought were impossible:

1. Edit source in any filetype
2. Search & replace in multiple source segments

Potentially this has some interesting implications and possibilities... but I guess it also carries some risks as this is definitely uncontrolled and as Anne discovered it is possible, if you are not careful when you use search and replace then you might replace source text in error.

If you do, ctrl+z seems to undo it, but this won't help if you realise a day or two later. But for now I guess you can use the same sequence to reverse the action!

Thanks István and apologies Anne for doubting you!

Regards

Paul

SofieM  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ István @ Paul Aug 7, 2013

Hello István and Paul

Yes! I tried your suggestion, István, and I was able to replace the source word that I had mistakenly replaced.
In the future I'll have to be more careful when doing find and replace, but at least now I know how to undo it, if I happen to do something by mistake.

Thank you István and Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 replaces words in the source

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search