'No matching file type' -- although I set one up
Thread poster: Ben Jones

Ben Jones
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 8, 2013

A potential client has sent me some software needing localization. The files needing to be translated appear to consist of a few XHTML files (no problem there), and some strings files, unsurprisingly called XYZ.strings and similar. The internal structure of these looks as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
/* Class = "NSTextFieldCell"; title = "Do something"; ObjectID = "123"; */

123.title = "Do something";

/* Class = "NSTextFieldCell"; title = "Do something else"; ObjectID = "124"; */

124.title = "Do something else";
---------------------------------------------------------------------

When I created the project in Studio 2011 (using the default template), I tried to set these up by adding a new 'Regular Expression Delimited Text' file type I called 'Strings', with File dialog wildcard expression *.strings, and then edited the 'Document structure' inside file type Strings to have Opening pattern .title=" and Closing pattern "; with Multiline set to Off.

However, when I add the files they are detected as 'Reference' and trying to set them to 'Translatable' merely results in the error 'no matching file type could be found'.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong, and how to fix it?

TIA
Ben

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:01
English
At a guess... Aug 8, 2013

... your opening pattern finds nothing at all so the file doesn't match. Instead of this:

.title="

Try this;

.title = "

Note the spaces either side of the equals sign. You don't really need the dot before title either but it will work anyway.

Regards

Paul

Ben Jones
United Kingdom
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiple matches Aug 9, 2013

Thanks Paul, that works... for some files.

Some still fail, and I've noticed that they have a different structure - they're just lists of strings like:

Do Something = "Do Something";
Do Something Else = "Do Something Else";

Obviously it would be easy to set these up separately, but the problem is that they're also called XYZ.strings. Am I right to think there is no way to tell Suite that these are a different type, as it classifies them based on the filename extension? So would the only way to get around this be (somehow) to extract a list of the files that have failed, rename them to e.g. XYZ.strings2 and create a new file type?

Ben

United Kingdom
English
No the easiest way would be to write... Aug 9, 2013

... a rule that captured them all. Maybe something like this?

Opening

^(?:/\* Class =|).*?= "

Closing
";.*$

Maybe that will do the job... there's a fair amount of guess work going on here because you're drip feeding me information!

Regards

Paul

Remy Blaettler
German to English
+ ...
Try out our regex easy Aug 9, 2013

I've created a little regex fiddle:

http://refiddle.com/grs

Unfortunately, if only recognizes one line, but you can just copy & paste all your different situations to try them out.
Much easier than restarting trados everytime.

United Kingdom
English
Very neat! Aug 9, 2013

Hi Remy,

I like it. I prefer to use RegexBuddy but if you don't have this (or some other tool), or a text editor that supports regex, then it's a great way to verify what you are doing.

Thanks

Paul

Ben Jones
United Kingdom
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Aug 9, 2013

Sorry Paul for the drip-feed but I didn't want to swamp you (or others) and am also cautious re confidentiality.

In my case the lines including Class etc. are just comments, so the 'title' text inside them should be left untranslated. Hence I think I have three types of line to be processed (depending on the file):

1) /* Class = "NSTextFieldCell"; title = "Do something"; ObjectID = "123"; */
2) 123.title = "Do something";
3) Do Something = "Do Something";

Following your advice, I need a RegExp which matches 2) and 3) but ignores 1). In plain language, this would be an opening match where the line contains = " but doesn't start with /.

This should do it quite simply: ^[^/]* = " and indeed, it works on my files. I tried this before spotting Remy's answer, but it does check out and it looks like a great resource for similar situations in the future.

Many thanks for your help.

Ben

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'No matching file type' -- although I set one up

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search