Deprecated/forbidden terms in Multiterm
Thread poster: Remy Blaettler

Remy Blaettler
Local time: 02:43
German to English
+ ...
Aug 9, 2013

In SDL Trados Multiterm you can give terms different statuses, e.g. deprecated.
Which is very helpful, so you know you should never use that term anymore.

Unfortunately this does not have any effects in Trados Studio.
I know there is a "Word List" with correct and incorrect forms. But that is a project setting and is not easy t handle for individual clients.

How do you deal with this? Or is there an official recommended way?

Cheers

Remy

Direct link Reply with quote

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Russian
+ ...
Just an extra precaution Aug 9, 2013

I am not fully sure what you want to achieve, but in any event you can improve the recognisability of prohibited forms by entering them into the database with an asterisk prepended (which is the usual notation for "incorrect word" in linguistic publications).

Remy Blaettler
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I would like for Trados to find "forbidden" terms Aug 9, 2013

@Anton: Thanks for your suggestion. That is a good idea.
But is there no automated way for Trados to recognize terms that should not be used?
(with Multiterm and not with the project settings).

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
No, there is no built-in way Jan 7, 2014

Remy Blaettler wrote:

@Anton: Thanks for your suggestion. That is a good idea.
But is there no automated way for Trados to recognize terms that should not be used?
(with Multiterm and not with the project settings).

I couldn't resist to answer as I've been explaining the same to our support reps.

You can create a custom field on the term level saying something like...

forbidden = yes/no
or
type = good / bad

...and then set up a filter to make sure you don't get the forbidden terms. But the filter operates on the entry level (I suppose), so you can't have a forbidden and a "good" term in the same entry, and have only the forbidden one filtered. The whole affected entry will be filtered instead.

This is a headache as well when you want to transfer terminology data from MultiTerm to other systems that have direct and proper support for forbidden terms (like memoQ or qTerm). Even though custom fileds can be used in MultiTerm, the lack of a standard way to mark/store forbidden terms means it isn't possible to convert the term as forbidden to the other system automatically.

There is QA though at least kind of as a morning-after pill to sort out cases where the forbidden terms were presented to you just like the good ones, but again, it requires manual fiddling with custom fields:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2011/client_en/Ref/Verification/TermVerifier_TermDef.htm

It would be so much easier if there was a Forbidden check box you could tick for the term, and your tool would handle the information intelligently, no?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deprecated/forbidden terms in Multiterm

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search