Is Kurdish supported by Trados Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Tech_Trans

Tech_Trans
United Kingdom
Aug 9, 2013

Hi,

Is Kurdish supported in Trados Studio 2011? I found an article when searching stating that it is

http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf#tab:categoryTab:crumb:2:artId:2993

but I'm not sure that this refers to Studio 2011? If I need to install TMS Service Pack 3 Patch 3, how do I do this? The only update available to me is SP2 which I've already installed.

Thanks,
Claire

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL_Vlad
Romania
Some helpful stuff in the KB Aug 9, 2013

Hi Claire,

I've tried to access the link you've provided but I've had difficulties finding the article you've referenced.

Try this KB article which explains what types of languages are supported with SDL Trados Studio 2011 (2009 also)

http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:110

In order to find out more about SDL TMS updates please reference this KB article:

http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3011

Regards,

Vlad

Tech_Trans
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Links not working Aug 9, 2013

Hi Vlad,

It seems that we cannot open each others links to KB. I a trying to download SDL TMS 2011 SP3 CU1 to see if this updates my version to be able to handle Kurdish, as the article I read said it would. Hopefully, it will work.

Thanks,
Claire

SDL_Vlad
Romania
Corrected links Aug 9, 2013

Tech_Trans wrote:

Hi Vlad,

It seems that we cannot open each others links to KB. I a trying to download SDL TMS 2011 SP3 CU1 to see if this updates my version to be able to handle Kurdish, as the article I read said it would. Hopefully, it will work.

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire,

Silly mistake on my part. Here are the correct links:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=2591&source=Article&c=12&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:2591 - SDL Trados Studio 2011

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=3011&source=Article&c=12&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3011 - SDL TMS Service pack and updates.

Tech_Trans
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Possible misunderstanding Aug 9, 2013

Hi Vlad,

Thanks very much for your help here, but I think this is not what I'm looking for. By supports, I mean, can I create En-Kurdish xliffs for translation and have them translated with no problems when they are returned. (the first link seems to refer to the languages available inside Studio for the user). After asking a few linguists, it seems that Studio 2011 does allow Kurdish translations to be completed, but that there are so many problems converting the file back to it's native format and then a lot of time is needed to format the files, that it would not be worth using for the TM savings.

Thanks again,
Claire

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:42
English
Central Kurdish (Iraq) Aug 9, 2013

Hi Claire,

Kurdish is supported in Studio as Central Kurdish (Iraq)... it uses the language code ku-Arab-IQ. So you should be able to translate Kurdish in this way I think?

What issues have you had in the past?

Incidentally, the articles you mentioned were for SDL TMS (SDLX desktop tool) and not Studio which uses a different basis for the supported languages.

Regards

Paul

MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:42
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, you can use Kurdish. Here is how. Aug 9, 2013

I have a coworker who translates from English into Kurdish Bahdini. We discovered that he can use Arabic Kuwait as the language, and set the keyboard for Sorani-Bahdini.

www.kurditgroup.org to download the keyboard, choose the Windows version that you use, then look under Arabic Kuwait and then the keyboard.

I hope this helps.

Tech_Trans
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Problems with formatting Aug 10, 2013

Thanks Molly, I was considering that as an option but wasn't confident it would work. Thanks for the link.

Paul, I have now found Central Kurdish in the list, thanks. I am informed by several linguists that Kurdish is supported in Studio, but when the file is finalized into its source format, the formatting is lost and the linguist needs to manually correct this. My project is 40,000 words and I'm not sure I can risk a formatting project of that size!

I personally have issues with Arabic, as once I convert the translated xliff files into the two-column Word file for client review (using the new function in Studio), the Arabic characters are elongated, lose spaces and become totally corrupt. I have spoken to you about this issue at my previous translation company, but we never resolved it. I have installed Arabic as a language on my laptop to see if that helped, but it did not, so I have to ask my Arabic translator (who luckily also has Studio 2011) to convert the xliff files to two-column for review, so that I don't corrupt them. I can only assume the same would happen with Kurdish.

I hope this clarifies.

Thanks,
Claire

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Kurdish supported by Trados Studio 2011?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search