https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/254209-multiterm_shortcuts_in_trados_2011.html

Multiterm Shortcuts in Trados 2011
Thread poster: Elmar Bierbaum
Elmar Bierbaum
Elmar Bierbaum  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:18
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
Aug 9, 2013

Hello,

I am still trying to find shortcuts in Trados Studio, after having worked for years with the older versions.

One very useful thing in Trados Studio is the automatic suggestion of the saved Multiterm terminology while you type your translation. It accelerates my typing a lot.

On the other hand, I still cannot find a shortcut to "assemble" words.

Here is where I am aiming at:

When I pressed alt+arrow down, left, right in Trado
... See more
Hello,

I am still trying to find shortcuts in Trados Studio, after having worked for years with the older versions.

One very useful thing in Trados Studio is the automatic suggestion of the saved Multiterm terminology while you type your translation. It accelerates my typing a lot.

On the other hand, I still cannot find a shortcut to "assemble" words.

Here is where I am aiming at:

When I pressed alt+arrow down, left, right in Trados pre-Studio, I could for instance assemble:

First word from Multiterm: high
Second word from Multiterm: way

= highway

This is extremely helpful with an agglutinating language like my native German.

But if say I have Auto and bahn in my Mutltiterm, when I type A in Studio, Auto would come up automatically, bahn wouldn't, because the system wants me to type a space first. I am sure there is a shortcut for such a simple wish of mine, but I am to dum to find it myself without searching for hours.

Any suggestions welcome

Best Regards

Elmar
Collapse

Elmar Bierbaum
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So there are no such shortcuts? Aug 16, 2013

Hello,

I suppose the shortcuts I am looking for do not exist? So is this simply a disadvantage of Trados Studio I have to live with?

However, if there is such a shortcut (assembling words from Multiterm while typing in the Trados Studio Editor), please someone just tell me the shortcut, nothing else.

Thank you, have a nice week-end

Elmar

Elmar Bierbaum
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found a workaround Aug 25, 2013

So to whom it may concern/to those of you spending brain cells on a similar issue:

I now apply a mix of Multiterm entries + Autotext entries:

Enter "Scew"-"Schraube" in Multiterm. Enter "screw diameter" "Schaubendurchmesser" in Autotext. Now, provided you have at least "screw" in your source text, so that the Multiterm entry comes up, you now can type "S" and "Schraube" will come up at once. Hit Enter. As soon as you continue typing, Studio will understand "Schraubend..
... See more
So to whom it may concern/to those of you spending brain cells on a similar issue:

I now apply a mix of Multiterm entries + Autotext entries:

Enter "Scew"-"Schraube" in Multiterm. Enter "screw diameter" "Schaubendurchmesser" in Autotext. Now, provided you have at least "screw" in your source text, so that the Multiterm entry comes up, you now can type "S" and "Schraube" will come up at once. Hit Enter. As soon as you continue typing, Studio will understand "Schraubend..." and propose "Schraubendurchmesser". This works around the fact that Multiterm/Studio does not understand the missing space between the two words.

Of course you can leave out the multiterm entry put just "Schraubendurchmesser" in Autotext and start to type S...., until Studio proposes "Schraubendurchmesser". BUT I noticed that the Autotext comes up rather late, after having typed at least some four characters. I don't understand why this is so I don't see any option where you can change this. Awkward and no help at all for words that are difficult to type at the beginning.

Anyway, hope this can help. I did not have any answers but 311 views on my topic. So I guess a few of you working in composita languages had similar problems, but no answer.

Elmar
Collapse

MuMyongCy (X)
MuMyongCy (X)
South Korea
Local time: 04:18
English to Korean
Right. It doen't work properly. Aug 26, 2013

To use AutoText, you have to type at least 4 letters.
It has option spin box, but never works properly.
Its values look like fixed at four internally.
I guess it's a kind of bugs.
(Even worse, for Korean letters I can't figure it out. What values are used ? It is not so clear at all.)

If you see termbase, it is funny too.
Its values look like fixed at one internally.
So, another bugs.

The last one is AutoSuggest Dictionaries.
I
... See more
To use AutoText, you have to type at least 4 letters.
It has option spin box, but never works properly.
Its values look like fixed at four internally.
I guess it's a kind of bugs.
(Even worse, for Korean letters I can't figure it out. What values are used ? It is not so clear at all.)

If you see termbase, it is funny too.
Its values look like fixed at one internally.
So, another bugs.

The last one is AutoSuggest Dictionaries.
I made one of this kind, ans so what ?
I do not know what the heck is this one.
I guess it is just a nonsense.

[Edited at 2013-08-26 03:10 GMT]
Collapse

MuMyongCy (X)
MuMyongCy (X)
South Korea
Local time: 04:18
English to Korean
One of a kind Aug 26, 2013

As you know well, there are lots lots of AutoComplete programs out there.
I recommend one of a kind to you.
It is made of AutoHotkey-very nice and easy programming language.

Address:
http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/60998-autocomplete-12/

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm Shortcuts in Trados 2011

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »