Studio Freelance 2011 - Find and replace dialog box disappeared
Thread poster: Eylenn

Eylenn
Local time: 12:02
English to French
Aug 11, 2013

Suddenly my Find and Replace dialog box has disappeared.

With my cursor either on the Target side or on the Source side (I tried both), in Editing mode, whether I do Edit > Find or type Control + F, the screen flashes briefly and a new tab appears at the bottom of the window (labeled Find and replace) but no dialog box is displayed. Clicking on that newly opened tab does nothing.

Before, I would just type Control + F, and the dialog box would open, so I don't think *I'M* suddenly doing something wrong.

My problem is exactly as described here.

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:2380

The problem is, that was written in 2010. The solution given does not work for my 2011 Studio Freelance edition. I can follow up to Step 4:
Browse to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SDL\SDL Edit

I can get to key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SDL but there is no HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SDL\SDL Edit.

Not being able to use the Find and replace dialog box is a pain. I manage (some) by using F3 but that's slow and laborious.

I surely will thank on bended knee anybody who can help me find my F&R dialog box back.

System parameters:
SDL Trados Studio Freelance 2011
Windows XP

Hélène Dion
Blainville, Québec

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:02
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Second monitor? Aug 12, 2013

Have you been using a second monitor? If so, you can bring the dialog box back by following the instructions in my blog post on display issues in Studio:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/12/06/more-display/

HTH,
Emma

Steve Erpelding  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:02
French to German
+ ...
scrrenshot Aug 12, 2013

Hi Hélène,

a screenshot would be handy for the troubleshooting. Did you try to right on the tab that opens and modify the size of it?
I belive there's an option as well in "view" -> reset layout, maybe that does the trick.

NB: I can't find the registry key they are refering to in the KB neither.

kind regards,

Steve

Eylenn
Local time: 12:02
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Answers solved this problem Aug 12, 2013

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

To Emma
Not being used to Windows, it took me a little while to understand the part about using the keys (keys, why keys? I have this perfectly good mouse… and of course it didn't work, go figureicon_wink.gif)

But when I did use the keys, first as an experience on the main window, and then - when I "got" it - on the missing window, I got it to be displayed correctly again.

To Steve:
I couldn't include a screenshot as it would have shown nothing - which was the problem.
Right-clicking on the open tab did display the right menu, the problem was in my not knowing how to "Move" a window in Windows. Now I know.

Thank you both for your help. IDo you want some chocolate cake? My firstborn child? (a bit used but still perfectly serviceable - I'm told.)

Hélène Dion
Blainville, QC

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio Freelance 2011 - Find and replace dialog box disappeared

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search