International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Does Trados Studio does this? If not, which software must I have?
Thread poster: isabel faria
isabel faria
Portugal
Local time: 15:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 12, 2013

Good morning to you all

I would like to apply for a translation, but I don't know if I have got the software needed, as the SW must:

1 - translate test inside JavaScript code and AJAX messages

2 - detect changes to English website by crawling the website

3 - In doing so, automatically schedule these changes for translation

4 - the content update process preserves the format of HTML, code including H1, H2, and H3 tags

I know that Trados converts files to make them translatable, but I also know that it only works some files formats...

and I know that the files I translated had tags, but I don't know if the tags are H1, H2 and H3...what's that?

and "automatically schedule changes for translation" is the propagation?

Please give me some hints

BT
Isabel

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No Aug 12, 2013

These tasks will need manual editing etc. I'm afraid. You customer should send you the files in a zip and then you can see what format you have. Or they should send the content in a word processor format and put the translation back where they want them to be. In any case I would charge by the hour, not by any word count.

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
All these tasks Aug 12, 2013

are too complex to be performed by one application. Basically, Trados helps you translate a file. It can`t "detect changes to English website by crawling the website" (I believe you will have to do this manually, at the same time charging your client accordingly).

Moreover, your list of tasks looks quite strange - I think you (or your client) will have to break this list down to smaller assignments, while concentrating your attention on these smaller tasks - one by one.

Yes, it won`t be cheap.

Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
H tags Aug 12, 2013

The H tags enclose the headings. The bigger the number following the H, the smaller the heading text font. All CAT tools can process them, and will output the translation in the same format.

[Edited at 2013-08-12 16:53 GMT]

Steven Segaert  Identity Verified
Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Website updates Aug 12, 2013

I think your client should look at systems such as smartling or transifex. There are also other services that handle changes in the web content in one language and pass them through a translation workflow.

As a translator, I then get notified when something is new, and can translate it in an online CAT-like tool. When it has been proofed, it is published on the website in the appropriate language version.

The client picks the tool and how it works. I would never dream of managing anything like that myself - I translate, and that is already challenging enough.

isabel faria
Portugal
Local time: 15:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thankings Aug 13, 2013

I would like to thank each one of you for your answer, which helped me to have a better idea of what to do.

I would like you to keep my contact in case you need a collaboration involving PT.

BR
Isabel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Trados Studio does this? If not, which software must I have?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search