Thread poster: Corinne Le Gallic

Corinne Le Gallic  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:48
Member (2013)
English to French
Aug 14, 2013

Hi,
In SDL Trados Studio 2011, translating one Excel file, I would like fields I do not translate to be left blank in the target file (when I finish my translation and click on save target file as... to generate my translated file).
The default is to fill up the field with the source. I do not want this to happen...
Can somebody please explain how I change this setting?
Thanks,
Cheers,
Corinne

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:48
English
You can't... Aug 14, 2013

... because in order for the target document to be created every segment is always populated otherwise there is a risk that the file may not recreate properly. I'm not sure (it's an interesting question) whether there is any CAT tool that would support this?

Regards

Paul

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:48
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
You can't, but... Aug 14, 2013

coco0668 wrote:

The default is to fill up the field with the source. I do not want this to happen...
Corinne

If you want a workaround, which would be considered poor practice, you can fill in the target segment with a space, a symbol or few letters, e.g. zxcv (which shouldn't appear in your text anywhere). The problem with the space is that it's hard to spot in your translated file. "zxcv" is much easier to find and replace in your excel file afterwards.

Of course you shouldn't save these segments in your TM.

HTH,
Emma

Corinne Le Gallic  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:48
Member (2013)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both Aug 14, 2013

That's what I was afraid of but wanted to check there wasn't such an hidden option somewhere... Will have to work around it.
Thank you both for your answers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get untranslated field left blank in target file

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search