Nuri Razi
Turkey
Local time: 12:13
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 14, 2013

Hello Colleagues,

I have an sdlxliff file that I am translating and I need to send the halfly translated file to the editor, so that he can start editing without losing any time. I can not send him the full translated sdlxliff file, the project manager wanted me to send the half of the file not to lose time. So I need to split and send the editor the half file and when he returns me the edited half file I need to combine with my file I am translating, which at the time of return I may have finished the translation of the full document. So I need to know how to split and combine these files so that I would not need to copy paste the edited segments and the editor would not need to copy paste the new translated segments. Thank you for suggestions.

Nuri Razi
English to Turkish translator

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:13
English
I think... Aug 14, 2013

... that for your usecase you would be better off just sending the whole sdlxliff and telling the other translator to start from a specific segment. This is because they will lose the ability to preview the file, create a target file for review if you split it.

Once complete you just import the sdlxliff onto your TM and pretranslate your project to update your translation with the work from the other translator.

It might be a good idea to create a file with Frequently Occurring Units first so that you can do that first and ensure some consistency across the file... but that would just be your call.

Alternatively... if you really want to split it you could use SDLXLIFF Split and merge which is installed in your Programs Group under SDL Trados Studio 2011 -> OpenExchange Apps.

Or... you could use the Legacy Converts from the OpenExchange. You lock the segments you want to work on and then create a TTX with the converter based on unlocked segments only. The other translator handles the TTX in Studio, or whatever tool they are using, and then you can import the TTX to update your Project using the Legacy Converter again when ready.

Regards

Paul

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to split and then combine an sdlxliff file

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search