Thread poster: Extra Consult
Extra Consult
Belgium
Local time: 04:29
Member (2008)
English
Aug 14, 2013

Hi,

We've been using Studio for a while now, and I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the auto-propagate for numbers issue.
Note we are a translating agency, and in dealing with multiple large projects in multiple languages, we're looking for easy ways to get things done, with the least amount of manual clicking.

First of, when we prepare files, the number segments are in status AT, which is fine. Sadly, auto-propagate seems to overwrite the AT segments. Is there an easy way to lock the AT segments? (which doesn't include opening all the sdlxliffs, filtering on numbers and locking all the segments)

This however wouldn't be an issue if auto-propagate didn't mess up once in a while.
Also, how does it decides between comma and period for thousand separator? It seems to change periods to comma's and vice versa in some occasions? Is this based on a Studio setting, or on a OS setting? (language options?).

In the end, I find that having the numbers as placeables is just not working for us. Is there a way to simply exclude numbers from the SDLXliff when creating them ('convert to translatable format' step) as it was in Trados? Or have numbers as non-translatable segments instead of this placeables stuff? (again, we could lock them for each file, but this generates extra work seeing the volume of files we handle)

Any input on this would be much appreciated, as we're having to double-check and change for each file.

Kind regards,
Geert

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Numbers and AT Aug 14, 2013

Hi,

Normally, this should be fixed by the OS but has never worked reliably in Studio 2011 even when checking the right options, etc. under Auto-substitution -> Measurements - behaves erratically as far as I can see in French.

The best workaround I've found so far is to use TermInjector (OpenExchange) and I haven't typed a single figure for quite a long time - see below, one of the regular expression rules I've created:

([0-9]+).([0-9]+) x ([0-9]+).([0-9]+) x ([0-9]+).([0-9]+) mm \(([0-9]+).([0-9]+) x ([0-9]+).([0-9]+) x ([0-9]+).([0-9]+) inches\) \1,\2 x \3,\4 x \5,\6 mm (\7,\8 x \9,\10 x \11,\12 pouces)

This can of course be customised for every language but is absolutely reliable, no mistake unless your regex rule is not set up properly.

HTH,

Bernard

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Handling Numbers Aug 14, 2013

Extra Consult wrote:

First of, when we prepare files, the number segments are in status AT, which is fine. Sadly, auto-propagate seems to overwrite the AT segments. Is there an easy way to lock the AT segments? (which doesn't include opening all the sdlxliffs, filtering on numbers and locking all the segments)

Hi,

Maybe you can just use the display filter when you start and lock these segments immediately. You can filter on "Automatically Translated" and lock them, or use the display filter.

I know this has to be done once the file is open but there is another option. If you use the Batch Search & Replace App you can search with regex for the number only segments across the entire project following a pretranslation (or before) and then change the status of these to locked before you start. You can find this app in your start menu if you have Studio 2011 or on the OpenExhange if you have 2009.

When we release 2014 there is a new app that will be made available (SDLXLIFF Toolkit) that will let you do pretty much anything with an sdlxliff or Project full of sdlxliff files and then the options for manipulating the files prior to translation will be much improved.

Regards

Paul

Extra Consult
Belgium
Member (2008)
English
TOPIC STARTER
AT issues remain Aug 19, 2013

Thank you both for the input. I've been running some more tests in the meantime, and I can't find a proper solution though. I'll maybe explain our predicament a bit more thorough:

We have indesign files with tables containing numbers. In the original files, the thousand separator is a comma, the decimal is a dot. (1,400 = thousand four hundred; 0.68 = zero point sixty eight)
I've tried the SDL Batch Find and Replace together with the some regex strings, and I could get something to work. (e.g. ^\d+\.?\,?\d* would work to lock both comma and dot separated numbers)

But, the problem I have starts earlier, with the AT translation. The AT translation already translates 124,000 as 124.000 or 6,000 as 6.000 and 0.116 as 0,116 etc. So whilst I could now lock them using the regex and SDL Batch, they'd be locked with the wrong values. (or atleast, I could never make sure they are correct, as SDL sees fit to change the target from the source).
I've tested this with an IDML using an empty TM, and after the prepare files step, the AT translation for numbers is already done with the altered values.
If placeables are seen as 'non translatable' by Studio, the why are they changed in the first place? (and what is AT based on? Language settings for Windows?)

So while both SDL Batch and the regex solutions work fine, the core of the problem remains, numeric values are changed by Auto-Translation. I would need to go into Studio Editor, filter number segments, copy-source-to-target and lock the segements. For all target languages for all files....

We used to do this with Tageditor, which just omitted number segments. Is there a way to have Studio also omit number segments altogether, as that would solve this once and for all? And is there detailed documentation available as to how placeables and AT are done?

Kind regards,
Geert

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-propagate and AT trouble

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search