euge bellini  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 10:47
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 14, 2013

Hi All,

I have just upgraded to Studio 2011 and I can´t use a file with the language pair: EN(US)-ES(US).
Does anyone know how can I add this variant (ES-US) to my system? I didn´t have that variant in 2007, but I do have ES-INT, and 2011 doesn´t.

Please help!

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:47
English
es(INT) or Spanish International Sort Aug 14, 2013

Hi Euge,

Studio doesn't recognise Spanish International Sort as es(INT) because it is not a language flavour used by Windows. See here for reference: http://goo.gl/BZhZay

So instead if you upgrade a TM for example then you'll find the sublanguage is changed automatically to es(ES).

es(US) is available though, at least for Win Vista and above. If you have WinXP then this may be the issue because WinXP does not recognise es(US) so Studio won't use it on that system either. So maybe adopt es(ES) instead?

Regards

Paul

Uruguay
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can´t open sdlxliff files? Aug 14, 2013

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. So, what you are saying is that basically I have to upgrade my OS I od have XP SP3, so that´s a problem.
The biggest issue is that Trados 2011 won´t let me open sdlxliff that have that language pair...
Isn´t there any way of adding Es-US? I´ll have to check.

Thanks again!

United Kingdom
English
I don't think so Aug 14, 2013

euge bellini wrote:

Isn't there any way of adding Es-US? I´ll have to check.

Hi Euge,

This is the first time I've come across this scenario where a language pair isn't supported due to the use of an older operating system, and I have some doubts over whether it will get fixed in any way.

One option would be to open the sdlxliff in a text editor and change the language codes to match the ones you support. Do the translation, save the sdlxliff and reverse them to return the file. Best if you have a decent text editor for this, but notepad may do the trick at a push.

So open the sdlxliff in a text editor (on a copy to be on the safe side) and search and replace this:

target-language="es-US"

with:

target-language="es-ES"

Then you should be able to open and translate the file using en(US) - es(ES). Don't forget to change them back afterwards if you have to provide the sdlxliff to your client.

Regards

Paul

Uruguay
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I´ll give that a try Aug 14, 2013

Thanks again, Paul!

Uruguay
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Find/Replace message Aug 15, 2013

Hi again Paul,

I tried replacing the variant, and I got a message error:
Unexpected error while detecting file type for file .....sdlxliff
Data of the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.

Thanks!

United Kingdom
English
My guess there... Aug 15, 2013

... is that the text editor you used screwed the file. Most likely you removed the BOM (and would probably have no idea without a decent editor).

If you send me the original file I'll take a look for you?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with language variant!

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search