Studio 2011: How to batch modify the translation status in the Files tab
Thread poster: walkqisky

walkqisky
Local time: 04:01
English to Chinese
Aug 15, 2013

The scenario is that all the tens of files have been in Translation Approved status, now found some translation need to be reviewed again, so I need to export all the files for the external review, but only find that the context menu - Batch Tasks only have 2 items available, Export files and Custom, nothing to do with what I want to do.
So I wonder if there is any way to batch modify the translation status in the Files tab from Translation Approved to In Translation then I can export all of the files to external review, and export one by one is not so time economical since the quantity of the files is quite large.
Any ideas?

P.S. I exported one files for external review, but when I performed the Update from External Review task, there is no items under the Project Files column, even if I select the reviewed docx file, so is this also related to the translation status? So it all goes back to my questions above.

walkqisky
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Seems such function not available yet? Aug 16, 2013

I remember that the SDL TMS has this retreat function which could move the translation status from the current stage to any previous stages, so no turnaround for Studio? Changing segments status may help, but the workload is really awful.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:01
English
It sounds to me... Aug 16, 2013

... as though you may have finalized your Project and this is why the batch tasks are no longer available. Try selecting all the files in the files view and then right-click and select "Revert to SDLXLIFF".

Regards

Paul

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Possible workaround Aug 16, 2013

Open one of the sdlxliff files in Notepad++ and convert the status from Translation Approved to Translated with Find and Replace function. You should enter not only these strings but some standard syntax around them to avoid overwriting anything in the body of the text (in the source or target text.)
If it goes well, use the Search in Files function of Notepad++ to perform such conversions on all files in the same folder in a single step.

United Kingdom
English
Interesting... Aug 16, 2013

István Hirsch wrote:

Open one of the sdlxliff files in Notepad++ and convert the status from Translation Approved to Translated with Find and Replace function. You should enter not only these strings but some standard syntax around them to avoid overwriting anything in the body of the text (in the source or target text.)
If it goes well, use the Search in Files function of Notepad++ to perform such conversions on all files in the same folder in a single step.

... but I doubt this will make the Batch tasks available. The segment status alone does not affect the availability of these tasks.

Regards

Paul

walkqisky
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
This command in the context menu is gray Aug 16, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... as though you may have finalized your Project and this is why the batch tasks are no longer available. Try selecting all the files in the files view and then right-click and select "Revert to SDLXLIFF".

Regards

Paul

Thank you Paul, but it is not available in the context menu.

walkqisky
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Tried but not at once recognized by the Studio Aug 16, 2013

István Hirsch wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion, but after replace ApprovedTranslation as Draft and save to the sdlxliff file, opened in the Studio, the Status in the Files tab still keep as Translation Approved, and it happened to change to In Translation status unless I open the file in Editor tab and save. This sounds not a quick solution but it works anyway.
Can anyone have better ideas?

United Kingdom
English
If you have a few minutes... Aug 16, 2013

... I can take a quick look over a webex or something? Drop me an email at pfilkin@sdl.com

Regards

Paul

Sorry... couldn't spell my own name correctly so edited it again.

[Edited at 2013-08-16 08:43 GMT]

walkqisky
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
If I can send you a snippet of the project to your mailbox... Aug 16, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... I can take a quick look over a webex or something? Drop me an email at pfilkin@sdl.com

Regards

Paul

I can only send you the files on Monday since now it's weekend in China, and thanks a million for your always cordiality, Paul.

walkqisky
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Can batch export now after reopen the Studio but cannot update from review Aug 19, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Regards

Paul

I have send you the snippet of the project files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: How to batch modify the translation status in the Files tab

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search