chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:25
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Aug 16, 2013

Hello experts,

I have Trados Freelance 7.0. The Word files sent by one of my clients have both - Source Segments and Target Segments (The Source Segments are simply repeated as Target Segments). The problem is I can't make use of my translation memory. I can't even get the advantage of similar text in the same project because as and when I open the segment, I am presented the same source text as target text. The client forbids me to make a new file from the text sent by him.

Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:55
English
Are you sure... Aug 16, 2013

... this isn't a bilingual Word document that just been fully segmented with no translation?

Sorry for the basic question but this is not clear for me.

Regards

Paul

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, you are right. Aug 16, 2013

It contains the same English text as the source segments as well as target segments whereas I am required to translate it from English into Hindi.

Regards,

Chopra

SDL Support wrote:

... this isn't a bilingual Word document that just been fully segmented with no translation?

Sorry for the basic question but this is not clear for me.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
ok... you didn't say which version of software Aug 16, 2013

Hi Chopra,

But maybe all you have to do is clear the target segments and translate? If you are using Studio just press Alt+Shift+Delete and all the draft 0% segments will be cleared.

Regards

Paul

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply, but... Aug 16, 2013

the client has mentioned that document contains text that has been extracted from formatted source files, such as HTML, XML or InDesign and I should not modify the text in a particular colour and any changes to this will cause the engineering process to fail. He has further mentioned that any formatting will be removed during the engineering process, including any colour, alignment and style changes e.g. Bold, Italic. He has also instructed me not to change the order of the table in any way as this will also cause problems when engineering.

Any further help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Chopra

United Kingdom
English
So... Aug 16, 2013

... you have a bilingual Word file... you have instructions from your Client... what help would you like?

If you open the file in Studio you can see all the segments that will be coloured and you should not touch and the rest you can translate. Even if the target is filled in you will still get a result in your TM that you can see in the Translation Results window. So just replace the target that is a copy of the source with your translation.

The more this discussion goes on the more I'm wondering what the problem is?

Regards

Paul

Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 04:55
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Try this.. Aug 16, 2013

I hope I understood the issue correctly. Please try the following:
Before translating anything, go to all the segments that must stay in English, copy them into the target segments (Ctrl + Ins), DO NOT CONFIRM (Don't hit Ctrl + Enter), then LOCK every segment of these.
The next step is to translate normally, and see if the TM renders the results in Hindi instead of English.

I'm not quite sure if this work around will solve the issue, but If the file is big, you can just try with a few segments that contain repeated texts and see if it works.

Best regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to make use of TM as Word file has Source and Target Text

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search