Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:52
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 16, 2013

This is very sad news indeed:

(from an email I received today from SDL)

... SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance will reach its scheduled 'end of life' on 31st December 2013 and from this date all support and special upgrade pricing for SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance will permanently cease.
Upgrade to Studio 2011 Freelance now and enjoy a complimentary Studio 2014 Freelance upgrade. ....

For someone who loves Trados 2007 and who has good memories (in eve
... See more
This is very sad news indeed:

(from an email I received today from SDL)

... SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance will reach its scheduled 'end of life' on 31st December 2013 and from this date all support and special upgrade pricing for SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance will permanently cease.
Upgrade to Studio 2011 Freelance now and enjoy a complimentary Studio 2014 Freelance upgrade. ....

For someone who loves Trados 2007 and who has good memories (in every sense of the word) this is very sad news.

I totally dislike Studio 2011 and the complication it involves, lack of compatibilty (so far) with Word 2010...

Any chance of petitioning SDL to keep 2007 alive for some more time?

Ana Vozone
Cascais
Portugal
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:52
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Keeping up with the times. Aug 16, 2013

Ana Vozone wrote:

For someone who loves Trados 2007 and who has good memories (in every sense of the word) this is very sad news.

I totally dislike Studio 2011 and the complication it involves, lack of compatibilty (so far) with Word 2010...

Hi Ana,
While I understand that translators tend to get very attached to their own workflows/programs, surely end-of-life is inevitable at some point for all products as new ones are brought out.

In the case of Windows XP, which came out in 2001 and was followed by Windows Vista in 2007, Microsoft is ending its support for it in April 2014.
So the timeframe here is similar.

Of course, for someone who loves Trados 2007, you can go on using it without the support although it will be increasingly hard as Microsoft Word moves forward.

I, for one, am glad I moved to Studio back in 2009 and won't miss Trados 2007 at all. In my case, Studio 2011 runs seamlessly with Word 2010, by the way, and I understand this is also the case with Word 2013.

I think it's reasonable for SDL to focus its efforts on keeping its current product compatible, whereas investing time in a legacy product probably doesn't make much business sense. And from a translator's perspective, it's probably wise to keep up to date with software because it improves all the time, making our job easier. We shouldn't get left behind, however comfortable we feel.

My two cents,
Emma

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Wordfast Classic Aug 16, 2013

Hi Ana,

If you like Trados 2007 you might want to switch to Wordfast Classic, which is still being actively developed. It's not my cup of tea (I use CafeTran these days), but many people really love it.

Michael

http://www.wordfast.com/products_wordfast.html

[Edited at 2013-08-16 11:24 GMT]

Jonathan Fray
Jonathan Fray
United States
Local time: 05:52
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Agree with Emma Aug 16, 2013

Totally agree with Emma, there is no way a software company can keep up providing support for old software. All software companies are like that. Software versions always come to an end of life because Windows is always changing and there are always new file formats, etc not to mention the new functionalities.

I also have no complaints with Studio when you compare it to Trados 2007. If you really learn how to use Studio, it really is MUCH better than Trados 2007. TagEditor is like w
... See more
Totally agree with Emma, there is no way a software company can keep up providing support for old software. All software companies are like that. Software versions always come to an end of life because Windows is always changing and there are always new file formats, etc not to mention the new functionalities.

I also have no complaints with Studio when you compare it to Trados 2007. If you really learn how to use Studio, it really is MUCH better than Trados 2007. TagEditor is like working in Notepad when you have all the functionalities of Word 2010! It might take some time to learn and some training, but it's worth it!

As to compatibility I've never had problems with Studio working with Word 2010 files as well.
Jonathan
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Probably worth keeping in mind... Aug 16, 2013

Ana Vozone wrote:

Any chance of petitioning SDL to keep 2007 alive for some more time?

... that we have not done anything with this product for years anyway! So just because we no longer sell or support it will only improve the likelihood it will slowly stop being used as people adopt new solutions for their operating system, for the file formats that source material is written in etc. It won't prevent anyone who already has it from using it for as long as they can/want.

Office 2010 is no problem at all for Studio. What problems do you have?

Regards

Paul

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your comments Aug 16, 2013

Thank you for your input, it is reassuring to hear that you all seem to be enjoying all the benefits of the new software.

Maybe I have some misconceptions about the product, namely that all my former TM's that I have built over the years (since 2000 with Trados Freelance 3) cannot be imported into Studio 2011, which is really upsetting.

To me, the software has evolved from a straightforward, simple usage (for my simple kinds of needs) to a dashboard that to me looks li
... See more
Thank you for your input, it is reassuring to hear that you all seem to be enjoying all the benefits of the new software.

Maybe I have some misconceptions about the product, namely that all my former TM's that I have built over the years (since 2000 with Trados Freelance 3) cannot be imported into Studio 2011, which is really upsetting.

To me, the software has evolved from a straightforward, simple usage (for my simple kinds of needs) to a dashboard that to me looks like a 747 cockpit. It seems to be a totally different logic and approach, hence my reticence in adapting to something complex which I do not need. I need simple, and Studio 2011 is not simple, not to me anyway!

In any case, thank you so much for your prompt replies!

Have a nice weekend!

Ana
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Misconception indeed Aug 16, 2013

Ana Vozone wrote:

Of course they can be imported. There's a special "import tool" built-in Studio, especially for this!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not only... Aug 16, 2013

... can you upgrade them or import them, you can also use a little plugin from the SDL OpenExchange (so it becomes part of Studio) that will allow you to read the old ones without upgrading or importing them at all!

Perhaps I could do a webex for anyone interested, say an hour or so, next week. We can keep it simple and just take you through the basics so you know how to get started and can see how easy it is. If there are not too many we can play it by ear and just answer questio
... See more
... can you upgrade them or import them, you can also use a little plugin from the SDL OpenExchange (so it becomes part of Studio) that will allow you to read the old ones without upgrading or importing them at all!

Perhaps I could do a webex for anyone interested, say an hour or so, next week. We can keep it simple and just take you through the basics so you know how to get started and can see how easy it is. If there are not too many we can play it by ear and just answer questions as we go.

What do you think? Would this be helpful?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:52
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You can upgrade your TMs Aug 16, 2013

You can upgrade your current TMs into Studio in one of two ways:
1) Via a simple wizard in which you will just have to choose the relevant TM and the software will do the rest.
2) By exporting them to TMX and importing them into a new Studio TM.

I'm not sure if there is a tool for a batch 'TM upgrade' though. I will look into that a bit later.

Studio might looks complicated, and it does use a bit of a different logic (everything is tied to a Project rather t
... See more
You can upgrade your current TMs into Studio in one of two ways:
1) Via a simple wizard in which you will just have to choose the relevant TM and the software will do the rest.
2) By exporting them to TMX and importing them into a new Studio TM.

I'm not sure if there is a tool for a batch 'TM upgrade' though. I will look into that a bit later.

Studio might looks complicated, and it does use a bit of a different logic (everything is tied to a Project rather than to a file), but once you get over your understandable hesitation and reservations, I'm pretty sure that you will find Studio as good, if not better, than your old reliable Trados 2007.
In general, you can consider Trados 2007 a translation tool, while Studio 20xx is more of a translation enviroment.

And if all fails, there are other tools out-there that might be more to your liking, including the free and Open Source OmegaT.

Edit: Paul beat me to it, so apologize for the duplicate information.

[Edited at 2013-08-16 13:48 GMT]
Collapse

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Webex sounds good! Aug 16, 2013

Paul, please let me know if you have enough "applicants" for your Webex session.

I would like to join in.

Many thanks
Ana

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I'll be happy to run it... Aug 16, 2013

... with just you Ana!

Let's fix a date now and then if anyone else is interested they can just drop me an email. How about Tuesday 20th at 1400hrs CET. if that works drop me an email and I'll set it up.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Takes all sorts.. Aug 16, 2013

I didn't buy Trados 2007 because I hated it - I absolutely love the interface of Trados Studio and use it every day - in fact I become distressed when I get jobs for which I cannot use it! You can't suit all of the people all of the time...

Steve K.

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
RIP Aug 16, 2013

This would be my epitaph: Kiss Tag Soup Goobye!

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Moving with the times - kicking and screaming Aug 17, 2013

Hi Ana

Like you, I prefer Suite 2007 (TWB) over Studio for simple Word documents, which make up 95 % of my work, simply because I like to work in a document that continues to look like a document and not like database entries, as is the case with Studio.

However, for anything remotely more 'complicated', e.g. PowerPoint or InDesign files, I much prefer working in Studio. I never liked TagEditor at all, I always thought that was a hopelessly 'ugly' environment to work in
... See more
Hi Ana

Like you, I prefer Suite 2007 (TWB) over Studio for simple Word documents, which make up 95 % of my work, simply because I like to work in a document that continues to look like a document and not like database entries, as is the case with Studio.

However, for anything remotely more 'complicated', e.g. PowerPoint or InDesign files, I much prefer working in Studio. I never liked TagEditor at all, I always thought that was a hopelessly 'ugly' environment to work in. I actually used to opt for SDLX, which I presume is the forerunner to Studio, for such tasks.

I agree with others who say that we need to move with the times and make use of tools that are improved and make our work easier or better. There IS a learning curve when switching to Studio from the old Trados environment, nobody can possibly deny that. It DOES take time to find your way around the new interface and through the different menus, and for someone who has worked in Trados since version 2, Studio is not nearly as 'intuitive' as SDL and new users would claim. Sorry, folks, but it just isn't.

Having said that, Ana, if you have a good look at the additional facilities offered by Studio, I think you will find that it is not a step backwards, on the contrary, it does offer a translator more tools to work with. And as far as I can make out, SDL are gradually fixing all the little glitches that occur, and they appear to respond quite fast to enquiries both here and via their online help service.

Like you, I imagine, I will continue to use Suite 2007 until it proves impractical, i.e. if technical issues occur that I cannot resolve. But in the meantime, I will 'practice' working in Studio just to make sure I don't suddenly find myself bogged down with work and having to learn a new translation environment from scratch at the same time.

Good luck to you

Gitte
Collapse

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 17, 2013

Thank you so much, Gitte, for your comments.

So far, Trados 2007 has provided for all my needs, that is why I was sorry to see that technical support will end soon.

And, yes, I need to practice and learn how to benefit from Studio.

Thanks everyone again for the encouragement to use Studio!

Have a great weekend!
Ana

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very sad news... RIP Trados 2007 Suite

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »