Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 09:35
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 17, 2013

Hi,

I was wondering if any has come across this .

Term Recognition window is recognizing/displaying the same available term on irregular basis. In some segments, it displays and in some others it does not, although spacing capitalization and other are the same. Sometimes, it does not show in the repetition segment which previously displayed and later not displaying.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Kind regards

Hakan Kiyici

p.s.: Minimum two character input option is ON and recognition is at 70%.

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:35
English to French
+ ...
Options Aug 17, 2013

Hi Hakan,

Under Options -> AutoSuggest -> Uncheck Hide suggestions which have already been used.
Termbases, AutoSuggest and Autotext shoud be listed and checked.

HTH,

Bernard

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Me too Aug 19, 2013

Yes, I get this. I also get the thing where terms are only recognised in the top few lines of a segment, which I remember reading some while ago is a bug.

But I may have something wrong with my MultiTerm installation as it recently started dropping terms that I knew for a fact I'd entered only the last time I used Studio; when I have time Paul Filkin is going to try to work out what's wrong with it!

English to French
+ ...
Alternative Aug 19, 2013

Download TermInjector (OpenExchange) and you won't even have to type the first letter, terms will be injected directly.

Cheers,

Bernard

Sarah Elizabeth
Italy
Italian to English
Me too Aug 19, 2013

I have also been having this problem, perhaps for months - terms that I know have been entered in the termbase (something that is confirmed by a termbase search) sometimes show up in the termbase window ... and sometimes do not.

For example, while doing a single translation, a term entered at one point in the day will show up the next time it appears in a segment, but a term entered at a different time on the same day (same file, same termbase, same project) will not appear. But then, later on in the file (same termbase, same project), the term that did not appear earlier will start to appear.

I cannot count the number of times I have encountered a term in a segment that is in the termbase but that does not show up in term recognition - and when I try to 're-add' the term, I get a message saying it is already in the termbase - but it still goes unrecognised. !!!

It is really maddening. One of the main reasons I use Trados is the termbase functionality. Take that away and the problems that Trados actively causes have me thinking about switching (back) to Wordfast.

(The most recent set of problems is apparently caused by incompatibility (?) between .doc files, Trados 2011 and, perhaps, Windows 8 and Word 2013. The only solution I have found is to convert all incoming .doc files to .docx, translate them, and then convert the translated document back to .doc. The problems I am having with .doc files are numerous and seemingly random and although I have found SDL assistance helpful, professional and fast, both through proz.com and the SDL site, I am burning out on spending time resolving this never-ending -- three and a half years and counting -- stream of problems.)

Sarah

Sarah Elizabeth
Italy
Italian to English
would like Studio to simply work as it should Aug 19, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Download TermInjector (OpenExchange) and you won't even have to type the first letter, terms will be injected directly.

Cheers,

Bernard

Hi Bernard, thanks for this tip - I might give it a try, as I am sure that it is as simple and effective as you say (I know you have recommended it often in the past as well).

But what I really want is for costly Studio to be able to effectively and consistently handle what should be one of its most basic, fundamental tasks - term recognition.

Sarah

Turkey
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well said and an addition Aug 19, 2013

Couldn't be explained better.

I want to add few more points.
- I thought it was some sort of dejavu. but this time I am sure that I added some terms and they don't appear in the termbase. I work on two different stations and I sync the files. So the latest most updated one remains. Not sure if this contributes.
- Term recognition adjusts if it starts with different capitalization when Case Sensitive option is unchecked. But it becomes choosy on occasions when the source term starts with capital letter.
- My source file for the current project is in docx format and I still have the problem.

Additionally,

Concordance search is not picking up the word selected for search most of the tıme, after first search is complete. Say, I select a word, perform concordance search. Not sure if its for the same segment or following segments, I choose another word and press F3 and the previously selected one is not cleared and new one is not displayed. After deselecting and reselecting it decides to pick up the word.

And today, although a specific word is in TM, it does not find it. It is in the same document. I can find it with Ctrl F and see that it is confirmed segment and see that it is in TM. But, concordance search does not find it.

Is 2011 getting funnier or is it just me?

My 2011 and Java has most uptodate versions. I restarted Trados 2011 several times to see if it would make any difference. Nothing.

It is just annoying and timewasting.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Best regards

Hakan Kiyici

Sarah Elizabeth wrote:

I have also been having this problem, perhaps for months - terms that I know have been entered in the termbase (something that is confirmed by a termbase search) sometimes show up in the termbase window ... and sometimes do not.

For example, while doing a single translation, a term entered at one point in the day will show up the next time it appears in a segment, but a term entered at a different time on the same day (same file, same termbase, same project) will not appear. But then, later on in the file (same termbase, same project), the term that did not appear earlier will start to appear.

I cannot count the number of times I have encountered a term in a segment that is in the termbase but that does not show up in term recognition - and when I try to 're-add' the term, I get a message saying it is already in the termbase - but it still goes unrecognised. !!!

It is really maddening. One of the main reasons I use Trados is the termbase functionality. Take that away and the problems that Trados actively causes have me thinking about switching (back) to Wordfast.

(The most recent set of problems is apparently caused by incompatibility (?) between .doc files, Trados 2011 and, perhaps, Windows 8 and Word 2013. The only solution I have found is to convert all incoming .doc files to .docx, translate them, and then convert the translated document back to .doc. The problems I am having with .doc files are numerous and seemingly random and although I have found SDL assistance helpful, professional and fast, both through proz.com and the SDL site, I am burning out on spending time resolving this never-ending -- three and a half years and counting -- stream of problems.)

Sarah

Turkey
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try again Aug 19, 2013

Hi,

Unfortunately your previous suggestion did not really work for this time.

I had tried TermInjector in very early stages. I will try the 2011 version. I don't remember why I stopped using it actually.

Thank you
Kind regards

Hakan Kiyici

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Cheers,

Bernard

English to French
+ ...
Language Related? Aug 19, 2013

Hi Hakan,

I think this issue has been discussed in previous posts but I've never experienced it in my language pairs and I'm using up to 3 or 4 Termbases quite regularly and works seamlessly, maybe MultiTerm is buggy in languages other than French and German - can't really tell but one thing is for sure as I type quite quickly, don't find that it's an advantage to use Termbases, AutoSuggest or AutoText entries with the first letter suggestion by the time I click on the suggestion I've already typed the word.

However, with TermInjector, maybe you don't have the latest version (current version is 2.1), it makes a hell of a difference depending on the type of text you're translating and with a few additional regular expression rules, you can easily turn 80-90% matches into 100% matches.
All you have to do is hit Ctrl+T to accept the entry and never fails unless you mess up a regular expression!

See link: http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/blieber45/media/Sample_zpsaae057fe.jpg.html?filters[user]=136107018&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

As you can see just a minor change in tense - didn't change the % in TermInjector that's why it show 0% in the window but it's close to 99%.

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-08-19 21:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-08-19 21:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-08-19 21:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-08-19 22:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

irregular term recognition of the same term Multiterm 2009 2011

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search