SDL Trados 2011 Studio recognizes Excel text box as word art leading to text not being translated
Thread poster: miguelrene
miguelrene
Local time: 17:33
Japanese to English
Aug 20, 2013

I translated an .xls file (Excel 1997-2003) that contains a few text boxes using SDL Trados 2011 Studio with unfavorable results.

First of all, in Excel the text boxes were regular text boxes, not Word Art, or Autoshapes or any other kind of object. When I analyzed the file using Trados however, the text boxes were classified as "WA+" (Word Art) in the column on the far right of the screen. I was able to view the text for the text boxes without any problems and to insert translations for each of the text boxes as well.

However, when I saved the target file, the text boxes that Trados recognized as Word Art were not updated in the target file. In other words, the text in the text boxes was still in the source language.

I have looked around on Google and a little on Proz.com, but this does not seem to be a very widely-known issue.

Does anyone know of a fix for translating word art content using SDL Trados 2011 Studio? Alternatively, is there any way to get Trados to correctly recognize text boxes as text boxes and not as word art?

Is there a filter that I am not aware of?

Other technical specs of my workstation
Windows XP
Office 2007
Trados (Professional) SP2R

Thanks!

(This was originally posted in another forum but I have decided to move it here on the advice of a fellow translator.)

[Edited at 2013-08-20 08:44 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:33
English
My guess... Aug 21, 2013

.... is that there is something wrong with your excel file, or maybe you have an old version of 2011 (I'm not sure of that as I'm not aware of this ever being a problem). I created a quick XLS file with one example of each. This is what I see:

The target file is also correct.

Maybe you can share the specific XLS you are having trouble with?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

miguelrene
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Could be an Excel problem Aug 21, 2013

Hi Paul,

As far as I know, my copy of Trados 2011 is up-to-date. I try to keep a very close eye on updates.

I agree that this is likely not a known issue and likely has something to do with Excel, a program notorious for not playing well with others.

Sharing the entire file will be a bit of a challenge, since it is my client's property and they probably would not appreciate me sharing it online. I will try to send a modified version of the file.

What really throws me is the fact that in the Excel file, the text boxes are regular text boxes. It's only one when the file is imported into Trados that they become recognized as word art. It's as though Excel and Trados are speaking two different languages through a bad interpreter.

Is there any trick to persuade Trados to translate word art?

United Kingdom
English
Like I said... Aug 21, 2013

miguelrene wrote:

Is there any trick to persuade Trados to translate word art?

.. just translate it and if it's WordArt it is shown as in the image I used... WA for WordArt and TB for TextBox.

If it is not doing this then I'd really like to see the file... or something you can cobble together that behaves in the same way.

Regards

Paul

miguelrene
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Work around with Trados 2009 Aug 22, 2013

I discovered last night that 2009 can be used to translate Word Art text boxes without any problems. I am still interested to know if there is a way to do this with 2011.

Ralf A. Schumacher  Identity Verified
Japan
Japanese to German
+ ...
Same trouble over here...! Accurate object recognition? Aug 24, 2013

Hi, Miguel and Paul,

I'm having the same trouble - same language pair (JP-EN), same Trados 2011, same old-format Excel files, same timing... What a serendipity! But, unfortunately, no solution in sight, is there...?!? (My Office version, though is "2010".)

I think, maybe our biggest trouble might be to accurately identify the type of object...

When I generate the translated file here, I only get the first line of text in a box sized down just around that, whereas all of the following lines are lost. Since this first line already is in English in the source document (IT-related), there's no way to tell whether Trados just modified the original object in a strange way or at least replaced it with the undisplayed translated portion. (Trying to copy and paste the translated segment (incl. tags) directly from Trados doesn't help, because I get a whole bunch of extra blank lines and none of the original font formatting.)

Unfortunately, during the weekend, it's impossible to ask the client, what function they actually used to insert the text: text box, WordArt, or could it even be another function?

After experimenting with the object in the original file, I would rule out WordArt, since the fonts and text styles are quite normal, i.e. small black and some red and blue text, but no outlines or other playful settings.
Interesting observation: Trying to insert a new text box or WordArt, I can freely rotate the object, and the text rotates along with it. In contrast, when I rotate the original object, (even in print preview) only the frame rotates, while the text remains displayed at the original left-to-right 0-degree angle.
=> This is what leads me to think our objects may be something other than text boxes or WordArt. Does anybody have an idea, what else it could actually be and how to verify that?

What strikes me about Trados, though, is - even if it handles a text box as WordArt or vice versa: Why can't it generate whatever object in the target file without losing the text strings from the translated segment?
(A little bit off-topic here, but another recurring trouble spot for me is that the Trados window never lets me preview my translations for Office formats older than 2007/2010... Maybe someone can provide a little hint on the side for this one - please!)

It would be great to soon find a solution or at least a very easy workaround. Otherwise, in my case, I will have to copy and paste and reformat those text strings from the translated segments over to more than 100 sheets in over 20 Excel files - not a prospect to look forward to, is it?

Thanks to all in advance for any help!
Have a nice and sunny weekend!

PS: I just cobbled together a sample file for you, Paul, or anybody else interested. How can I share it with you?

[Edited at 2013-08-24 07:01 GMT]

PPS: Paul, I just sent the sample to the e-mail address you provided above. Thanks a lot for your support!

[Edited at 2013-08-24 07:47 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
The problem is a bug... Aug 24, 2013

Hi Ralf and Ray,

This is a bug, and the immediate resolution is to change the properties of the text box. So for example, if I right-click on the text box in Excel and then change the properties so it is "Move and size with cells" instead of "Move but don't size with cells" and then open the file it is correctly recognised as a Text Box instead of WordArt.

This is an unusual occurrence I think and I can't actually create a text box that behaves in this way... but clearly it happens!

It has been logged for development to resolve.

Hopefully you don't have too many text boxes!

Regards

Paul

Ralf A. Schumacher  Identity Verified
Japan
Japanese to German
+ ...
It works! :) Aug 24, 2013

Awesome Paul!

I wonder how you managed to detect the cause so miraculously, but after trying it out on 1 file, your advice does the job for now with reasonably little extra effort!

That is, I'll have to redefine and save the approx. 100 box properties in working copies of my 20 files, set them up as project files again, rerun my already completed translations, and generate the target files again, buit this is still going to be way shorter than manually pasting and setting the varying font colors, etc.

Thanks a big lot for your suppport, Paul, and have a great weekend!

Ralf

United Kingdom
English
I didn't! Aug 24, 2013

Ralf A. Schumacher wrote:

I wonder how you managed to detect the cause so miraculously, but after trying it out on 1 file, your advice does the job for now with reasonably little extra effort!

Hi Ralf,

It was the work of Simona in our Support Team... I read her notes on another case and tried it. So Simona deserves the credit here, not me

I'm glad it worked though!

Regards

Paul

miguelrene
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Aug 25, 2013

Paul and Ray,

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that worked on this. You've been a big help. I'm also glad that starting this thread helped out Ralf as well! Here's hoping that more people find this thread and but the knowledge to good use. Please pass on my gratitude to Simona.

Sincerely,

Miguel

Allyson Larimer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:33
Japanese to English
+ ...
Select all text boxes Jan 13, 2014

This worked like a charm. Thanks so much.

Incidentally, I found a way to select all text boxes, which makes Paul's fix go much quicker.

F5>Special>Objects

That will select all the objects on the page. Then you can right click them to change the properties.

Just for future reference.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2011 Studio recognizes Excel text box as word art leading to text not being translated

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search