International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Is it really possible for a TTX file to be completely messed up from having been in order?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 20, 2013

Is it really possible for a TTX file to be completely messed up from having been in order in order?

I outsourced a large job on 54,000 words, and before the translator could begin we had troubles with the TM as the end-customer and we got completely different word count. Finally the end-customer accepted our word count with the excuse that the TM had been corrupt.

The translator begun to translate, and returned the TTX files. The translation agency begun to proofread the TTX files, and found an enourmous amount of errors, errors where there is no period and words have not been translated (only part of the whole sentence has been translated, question marks instead of the translation of words, weird/wrong translations, etc.

And this is an indication on the number of segments containing errors like the above (even much more than these as the proofreading continued):

250, 298, 437, 460, 517, 518, 525, 564, 565, 614, 624, 638, 639, 724, 737, 738, 749, 751, 769, 785, 805, 814, 818, 825, 826, 827, 828, 837, 871, 875, 891, 898, 905, 933, 975, 990, 1001, 1069, 1136, 1149, 1178, 1219, 1250, 1254, 1256, 1263, 1264, 1266, 1270, 1271 och 1277.

The translator's explanation is that she has opened everything in TagEditor 2007 and translated everything (didn't leave out anything), and she doesn't understand what the translation agency refers to. Which, now that I look at the files myself, just doesn't make sense. There are so many segments that are only partially translated, wrong translations etc.

[Edited at 2013-08-20 08:42 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:25
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Translator's experience Aug 20, 2013

I don't think it's the file's fault. If you can see lots of segments that have only been partly translated, then maybe your translator is at fault.
Have you worked with her before? Has she been able to return ttx files translated correctly? Presumably you didn't give a 54,000-word job to an unknown translator...

You don't mention the native file format, but it's important for the translator to produce the translated file to check that the work is complete and well formatted. If this step had been completed, you might have avoided the problem of the messed up ttx file.

Why not ask the translator to send you some screenshots of the problem segments. That may help to see what's going on.

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Word files were faulty from the beginning Aug 20, 2013

Actually, the Word files from the end-customer were faulty from the beginning, both for me and the translation agency. So the translator I outsourced to could only translate the TTX files without saving as target. This was agreed upon before we continued the project, that the end-customer in the meantime should try to find a solution to the faulty Word files (think they had been created in Word 97). So the TM was corrupt (according to the end-customer) and the original Word files were faulty (could not be saved as targets).

Could this somehow mess up the TTX files? But I still see now as I read through the TTX files that the translations that are there in many cases are of low quality, and in several cases whole words have been left untranslated.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:25
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Low quality Aug 20, 2013

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

there in many cases are of low quality, and in several cases whole words have been left untranslated.

If the Word file has problems, I wouldn't be surprised if the ttx does too. However, in your answer above, I think you've found the root of your problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it really possible for a TTX file to be completely messed up from having been in order?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search