Thread poster: Huw Watkins

Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:21
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 22, 2013

I Have just discovered a very useful feature in Studio. It may have been there in the 2009 version but I don't remember it and I have only just upgraded to 2011. It's the "Add a New Comment" feature. Basically I am not 100% sure on my translation of a term and have highlighted it and added a new comment under warning in order to flag this to the proof reader. Great feature, love it - very useful.

Now the only issue is that I will have to export this file to TTX at the end and it may well be that the proof reader uses TagEditor. Does anyone have any experience of what happens to these comments in this case?

Any input would be very helpful. Thank you.

[Edited at 2013-08-22 08:06 GMT]

Mark
Local time: 15:21
Italian to English
Should be ok Aug 22, 2013

Since .ttx files can contain comments as well, I should hope that they would simply be converted.

Actually, thinking about it, the comments "in" .txx files are saved as a separate .comments file, so if you're the one doing the converting, you should be able to see it.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Depends on the Studio 2011 build Aug 22, 2013

Ah, this question triggers my pet peeveicon_wink.gif

In Studio 2009, you could already add comments to sdlxliff files and these comments would be seen by reviewers working on the same files. In Studio 2011 SP2 a new feature was added, called "Retain Comments in Translated File", so if you started with a .docx then any comments added in the sdlxliff file would be seen in the translated docx file.

However, in later builds of SP2, this feature was squashed (awaiting further development, apparently). See my blog article here for more details:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/09/19/sp2-updated-release/

In any case, the "retain comments in translated file" wouldn't have worked for ttx files. If you open a ttx file in Studio, the "retain comments" doesn't work, and if you produce a ttx file afterwards (to open in Tag Editor, as you mention), then the comments won't be retained.

Hopefully Studio 2014 will bring back the "retain comments" feature, but in any case it still probably won't apply to ttx files as Tag Editor doesn't have it built in.

Hope that clarifies things a bit,
Emma

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed it does Emma - Thank you! Aug 22, 2013

Given that this feature is particularly useful for translators to leave comments for proof readers, you would think that SDL would make it compatible with as many versions of Trados as it can. We freelancers have very little control on which proof readers the agency chooses and therefore which versions of the software they use. I know from experience that comments inserted in context are slightly more useful than a list in an email. You can simply deal with them as you come across them when proofing....

Anyway moaning over. I assume that if I am working directly on a TTX file in Studio 2011 sp2, which was created by the agency in TagEditor and if I subsequently export the bilingual file, again in TTX format, then the comments wont' be kept? Just checking just in case...

[Edited at 2013-08-22 09:39 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, I just noticed you already answered this Aug 22, 2013

Huw Watkins wrote:

I assume that if I am working directly on a TTX file in Studio 2011 sp2, which was created by the agency in TagEditor and if I subsequently export the bilingual file, again in TTX format, then the comments wont' be kept? Just checking just in case...

[Edited at 2013-08-22 09:39 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Clarifications Aug 22, 2013

Huw Watkins wrote:
comments inserted in context are slightly more useful than a list in an email.

Correction:
comments inserted in context are miles more useful than a list in an email

I assume that if I am working directly on a TTX file in Studio 2011 sp2, which was created by the agency in TagEditor and if I subsequently export the bilingual file, again in TTX format, then the comments wont' be kept? Just checking just in case...

That's right. Comments won't be kept.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add comment feature in Studio and TTX files

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search