Translating several columns of a CSV file
Thread poster: xxxavsie

xxxavsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:20
English to French
+ ...
Aug 22, 2013

Hi everyone,

For starters, I'm using Studio 2011 SP2R 10.4.3079.1 with Microsoft Office 2010.

Most of the questions regarding CSV files are about how to set the filter to recognise one colum as the source and another column as the target, but my problem is different.

I have a CSV file (tab-delimited) with several columns: column 1, column 2, column 3, column 4, column 5 and column 6. Only columns 3, 4 and 6 need to be translated, the rest is just information (like product codes, IDs, URLs, etc.). There are no source and target columns, it's all source, but we don't want to translate all columns.

My first test was to convert to Excel and hide the columns I didn't need. That worked fine, however once I tried to save the Excel as CSV again, it automatically saved as "semi-colon delimited", and that's not what I want. I want a tab-delimited file back. Maybe I just need to know the trick how to save an Excel file as a tab-delimited file, if it's the case, please enlighten me!

But that save as Excel then save as CSV again workaround is a bit annoying, especially since there's one source file per language, and the project is needed in several languages. This is not sustainable in the long run.

Is there a way to tell Studio to recognise several columns as source columns in a tab-delimited file, and none as target columns? I'm usually pretty good at tweaking filters, but this time I'm a bit baffled...

Thanks in advance!

Marie-Claude

Giulio_T  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
A copule of ideas Aug 22, 2013

Hi,
I tried that too, but I was only able to figure out a sub-optimal method: changing the file's extension to .txt and translating each row as if it was a single translation unit, copying all the source text and changing the parts that require translation.
Don't know if this can help you in any way...

As to tab-delimited files, I don't know about Excel but LibreOffice lets you choose the tab as separator for csv files.

Giulio

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Excel is the best way for a file like this Aug 22, 2013

Hi Marie-Claude,

When you have multiple source columns I think CSV is not the easiest way to go, and you were intuitively doing the right thing in the first place. To save the Excel as delimited text just Save-As and then select the Delimited text format from the drop down menu.

Regards

Paul

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 22:20
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
pl see Aug 22, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XY2i5ZB06U

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating several columns of a CSV file

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search