Upgrading to Studio 2011 and/or 2014 on new system
Thread poster: JensL

JensL  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 22, 2013

Hi everybody.

I am considering upgrading from Studio 2009 to 2011, and then maybe to 2014. However, I am not the most tech-savvy person around when it comes to upgrading software and related topics, so bear with me if you find the questions very basic.

So, I have Studio 2009 Freelance plus installed on a laptop and a desktop computer. So far I see no problems if I want to upgrade to a later version.

However, I am planning on buying a new laptop only for work purposes and leave my desktop "behind" for a while, and my questions is: how do I get a newer version of Studio to run on the new PC?

Do I first have to install the old Studio version on the new system with one of my current licenses (after returning it with the License Manager from one of my currents PCs) and then upgrade, or can the upgrade be installed "directly"?

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

sdl_andy
Local time: 06:29
First option is best Aug 22, 2013

Hi Jens

Your best option will be as you suggest. Check the license back in and install 2011 on your new computer first, then reactivate.

Then you can upgrade to 2014 when you're ready.

Andy.

Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 07:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
to retain Studio 2009 Aug 22, 2013

hi Jens, one important fact:

if you are going to do the upgrade and still want to have Studio 2009 in your new laptop, you should install and activate it in your new laptop BEFORE processing the upgrade.

after upgrading to Studio 2011/2014, the Studio 2009 licence ceases to exist. you can still use Studio 2009 wherever you have already installed it, but you can't do a new instalation. you will now have a licence for Studio 2011/2014.

good luck! I've upgraded to Studio 2014 and hope to see nice improvements when it is released.

JensL  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 17, 2013

Thank you for the swift replies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading to Studio 2011 and/or 2014 on new system

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search