traiston  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:32
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 23, 2013

Dear friends,

I have two TMs, one is created with En-US as source language, and the other use En-GB. I tried add one of them into anoter in Trados2011, but it failed. Could you give me some advices? Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:32
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Two options Aug 23, 2013

The two immediate solutions that come to mind (there might be others):
1) Export one of the TMs to TMX and import it into the other TM, while making sure to check the Exclude Language Variants option in the Import wizard.

2) Export one of the TMs into TMX, open it in a text editor such as Notepad, replace the language variant (en-US with en-UK for example), and import it into the other TM. Note: Just make sure you get the correct language code (en-UK or en-GB; I'm not sure).

[Edited at 2013-08-23 08:06 GMT]

traiston  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:32
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Aug 23, 2013

Hi, Shai
I have combined these two TMs successfully. Thank you very much.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:32
English
A third option ;-) Aug 23, 2013

Hi,

There is an plugin for Studio on the OpenExchange that allows you to add any Translation Memory you like as a read only TM. This means you could set up your Project as en(BG) for example and then add both Translation Memories to ensure maximum leverage to help you with the work, but only update the en(GB) Translation Memory with your work.

Because you can add as many TMs as you like in Studio there is no need to try and merge them at all. This way you also maintain the information that is added to the TM appropriate to the language variant you are updating.

You can find a little information on how to use the plugin here : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-lu

And you can find the plugin here : http://goo.gl/cVlCbz

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to combine two TMs with different source languages

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search