Marta Flis
Marta Flis  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:40
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 24, 2013

Hello,

I try to use Trados 11, but have a problem. I uploaded the TM (EN-PL) and the word file (docx), there are lots of matches, but both the source and the target text in the editor are in English and not in English on the left and Polish on the right. It's probably some stupid mistake of mine, but I don't know what to do. When I move to the "translation memory" section, I can see the Polish version.

How can I fix it, what do I do wrong?

Marta

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
My guess would be... Aug 24, 2013

... that you are not using a TM at all and what you are looking at in the Editor View is the source copied to target. There is a setting to do this if there is no match found.

Then in the Translation Memories View you are looking at your TM, but this is only for maintenance and has nothing to do with interactive translation.

Once your file is open in the Editor try clicking on Project Settings, add your TM, and then you will see the TM results in the Translation Memory
... See more
... that you are not using a TM at all and what you are looking at in the Editor View is the source copied to target. There is a setting to do this if there is no match found.

Then in the Translation Memories View you are looking at your TM, but this is only for maintenance and has nothing to do with interactive translation.

Once your file is open in the Editor try clicking on Project Settings, add your TM, and then you will see the TM results in the Translation Memory Results window in the same view as the Editor View.

If you add your TM here when you create a project then the Editor will show the results in the columns with source on the left and target on the right.

At least this is what you have explained sounds like.... apologies if it's not! But if so, perhaps you should take a look at the Translation & Reviewing QuickStart guide that is installed with Studio. If you go to the ome View in Studio you'll find a link in the left handside... and also links to the online help with references to translating in Studio as well. But I think the quickstart guide is a good place to start.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Marta Flis
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I followed the quick start guide rules... Aug 24, 2013

and nothing...
In the box where the two languages should appear, it's still EN-EN.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Screenshot Aug 24, 2013

marta-flis wrote:

and nothing...
In the box where the two languages should appear, it's still EN-EN.

Could you post a screenshot of your EN-EN issue? That might help to clear things up.

Marta Flis
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
screenshots Aug 24, 2013

I didn't know if it's possible to post them here, so I uploaded some screenshots here:
http://postimg.org/gallery/46aos0ly/83b35165/

I have a trial version and a starter version. In the starter version it was said that my TM is limited to 5000 units and I could't use it, but there was no such mention with the trial one...
But maybe it is lined somehow.
I notice
... See more
I didn't know if it's possible to post them here, so I uploaded some screenshots here:

I have a trial version and a starter version. In the starter version it was said that my TM is limited to 5000 units and I could't use it, but there was no such mention with the trial one...
I noticed now that my TM has only 50 chunks. But anyway, there are many 100% matches or 90 something matches but the results are in EN.
Collapse

owhisonant (X)
owhisonant (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Best start over... Aug 24, 2013

marta-flis wrote:

I noticed now that my TM has only 50 chunks. But anyway, there are many 100% matches or 90 something matches but the results are in EN.

Those 50 chunks are just the first page of the TM - Trados splits it up like that. You can navigate the TM pages using the blue arrows on the maintenance toolbar (View-Toolbars-Maintenance...). However, you don't really need to open and scroll through the TM (that's just for direct editing). You want to make sure that the TM has been attached to your project, either for "All Language Pairs" or for the individual language pair you're working on. Then you can use it to pre-translate, do automatic lookups, concordance searches, etc. Every time you mark a segment as "Translated", the attached TM will be updated accordingly...

Overall, it sounds like your project has just not been set up properly. I suggest you start again, perhaps using one of the many tutorials available online for 'Trados - new - project' or similar, and then make sure that a) your source and target languages are correct, b) the correct TM is attached, and c) you use the 'Pre-translate' function to start populating your target segments.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

OW

Marta Flis
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I started over... Aug 24, 2013

...and the problem is not with me, but with the TM... I browesed it segment by segment and it appears that some segments are in English, even though they are supposed to be in Polish, and these are the segments I need.

My question now is the following:
Is it possible that it happened during the conversion from tmx?
Or is it the faulty file provided by the customer?

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Hypothesis Aug 24, 2013

My idea is that some or most of the target segments in the TM are in English. For instance, the segment "The region came" is a 95% match (probably the same as the source segment, but without the tags).
You can check this with the Context/Concordance function (F3) for a word such as "vineyards", or "prominence".
If this is the case, just translate, your TM is not corrupt but simply badly populated.

Marta Flis
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all:) Aug 24, 2013

I finally got the reply from the client. He admitted, that he knows now how it happened and that it wasn't my fault.

Thank you all for your help:))

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

problems with TM

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »