Studio 2011 - use of concordance searches
Thread poster: Sian Cooper

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:34
French to English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2013

Hi, all. I am working on a project where consistency of word use is paramount. I can get things coming up in the concordance searches ok (well, mostly) - but then, well - what's the point? As other people have said, having to click in the target, highlight the concordance text you want and then press a key combination is far too cumbersome. I may be missing something, but I also cannot even find a way to work out which segment my incorrect word is in. Somewhere, I'm sure, I read that the display is supposed to show the segment number, but I'm suspicious about that (this is TM-wide, not doc. specific, isn't it). Still, doc/segment info would be amazingly useful, as would e.g. Ctrl+number to insert a whole returned phrase, like in translation view.

It seems to be a frustrating tool, rather than a useful one. And it doesn't sound like 2014 has any improvements in it, from what I've heard?

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

E_Kelly
South Korea
Local time: 15:04
English to Korean
Do you mean "Filter" functions in one of the toolbars ? Aug 28, 2013

In the "Filter" toolbar > "Containing", then you type the word(s) and select "In Target".
You can see all the segements you want only.

[EDIT 1]
I mean in the "current" file. Not the past or general files.

[Edited at 2013-08-28 00:35 GMT]

[EDIT 2]
You are absolutely right. Pressing a series of key combination (repeat and repeat) is far too cumbersome. This is the exact point one needs internal/silent method to combine series of keys in one/single key stroke.

You need a/one/single shortCut key definition to do such a tedious works;
1. Highlight what you need
2. Find with the concordance search
3. Do filtering current segments

(I am not sure, but Paul told me to use some SDK or APIs. I am not yet familiar with it. That may be great helpful, but it take great time consuming too, I guess.)

[Edited at 2013-08-28 00:43 GMT]

xxxnrichy
France
Local time: 07:34
French to Dutch
+ ...
You can use the search function Aug 28, 2013

to see in which segment(s) the incorrect word(s) is or are in. Much easier. You can search on the source text or on the target text.

I use Concordance mainly on the source terms, or group of words, while translating the text ("how did I translate that before?") and sometimes I see an error (for instance 5x the right term and 2x the wrong term), then I correct immediately using the search function.

At the end of the translation, the search function is a very fast way to do a last check.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 - use of concordance searches

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search