Best antivirus software to work along SDL Trados Studio?
Thread poster: LouHarrison
LouHarrison
Local time: 07:02
Aug 28, 2013

I've suffered with slow performance on large Studio 2011 jobs for some time now and am trying to decide what to change to make improvements.
My PC is 3.5 years old and has 4 GB RAM
I use AVG subscription antivirus - version 2013 - I've tried to add files/folders as exceptions but seemingly you can't add entire programs or file extensions.

I'm seriously thinking of buying a new PC with lots more RAM, but naturally I don't want to find I still have the same problem after spending all that money! So, I'm wondering if perhaps a change in antivirus might be a cheaper alternative that allows my PC to live on a little longer?

Direct link Reply with quote

Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 08:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
I use a free antivirus Aug 28, 2013

I use Panda Cloud Free AV, and have noticed no changes at all in what refers to Studio 2011's speed. the difference with the paid AV is that the paid version has its own firewall.
you have to use Window's firewall with the free version, but it works like a charm.

Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Two things Aug 29, 2013

First, I use the ESET NOD32 antivirus, which apparently doesn't take up much space so doesn't make your computer run slow, and in my experience is very effective.
Secondly, if you're happy with your computer, it's much cheaper to get extra memory installed than to buy a new one. It cost me about €39 to have an extra 4 GB RAM installed on my laptop. Another advantage of increasing the memory on your existing computer is that you avoid the hard slog of setting up, installing and configuring that's necessary every time you get a new computer.

xxxwilhelm_zwo
Netherlands
German to Dutch
Test it first Aug 29, 2013

Perhaps you can disconnect your computer from internet temporarily, then disable (or even remove) the antivirus software and have a look at the performance of your computer while using Studio 2011. Can you tell us at which specific actions Studio 2011 slows down? Perhaps these actions are related to reading data from your hard disk? In that case adding an SSD could make a difference.

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
MSE Aug 29, 2013

Hi Lou,
I'd been using AVG for years since Avast got heavy and recently had noticed the same performance drop. After reading several comparison tests of free antivirus progs I decided to try Microsoft Security Essentials and must say I'm impressed.
No ads, faster startup and shutdown, much lighter in system resources.
MSE is built into Windows 7 so already part of the system, you do have to add exceptions for all Trados, studio progs for it to work well.

LouHarrison
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 29, 2013

Thanks all, you've given me some good ideas! I will compare functionality with Microsoft Security Essentials as soon as I get 5 mins and I will definitely look into buying extra RAM rather than a new PC.
My main functionality issues seem to occur when I am performing reviews on large files - primarily with inputting text and autopropagating, though TM/termbase lookup and saving can also be slow. Verification can also be a nightmare and take hours on a large file...

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Use any AV you want Aug 29, 2013

Hi all,

In theory you can use any AV you want if you follow our exception recommendations in this KB Article, you should not see any performance degradation due to the AV software:

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4437

(Note, we made some enhancements for the SP2R release of 2011, so you should be on that release). We also further enhanced this in the imminent Studio 2014.

Cheers,
Luis

LouHarrison
TOPIC STARTER
RE KB article Aug 29, 2013

Hi Luis
Thanks for your reply. I have tried to follow the advice in the KB article but my AV won't let me exclude specific file extensions. I have added all the separate folders though.
I am on the latest release and am really hoping 2014 will make a difference too. It can take about two hours to run a verification on a file containing approx. 30K words at present and that's before I start going through the messages. When you add in the processing time to "ignore" messages it takes an absolute age!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best antivirus software to work along SDL Trados Studio?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search