Trados Studio 2011 on Mac
Thread poster: Anna Lada Hill

Anna Lada Hill
United States
Local time: 09:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 28, 2013

Does anyone have expirience of installation and working with Trados 2011 on Mac?

The installation went well about 1 month ago, but I was not able even to start Trados, got error messages. Please advice. Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Pere Ferrés Gurt  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados is not compatible with Mac Aug 29, 2013

As far as I know, Trados cannot be installed on Mac systems. You must always install it on Windows.

If you have a Mac computer, you must have Parallels or Bootcamp and install Trados on the "PC" side.
I use an iMac with Parallels 8 and Studio 2009 and everything works fine.

Anna Lada Hill
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Contacted support Aug 29, 2013

I have Windows on my Mac and that is where Trados is installed. It was running fine after the instillation, but now I can not start it. I already contacted support services

By the lack of responses to my post I suspect that either it is not a common problem or not too many translators are Mac users.

Christine Jonkers  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 22:43
Member (2011)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Parallels 8 and Trados 2011 - works perfectly Sep 1, 2013

Anna,

I also work with a Mac and as Pere I'm also using Parallels 8, but then with Studio 2011. I only need to shut down at a regular basis otherwise it gets really slow, but otherwise, always works.

Hope you can get your problem solved!

Christine

Anna Lada Hill
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Christine! Sep 2, 2013

Thank you for optimistic feedback. My Trados on Mac is running now, but I have another issue - I can't type in cyrillic. Hopefully will solve this problem as well

Skallagrimson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:43
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
Parallels 8 | 9 and Trados 2011 - works perfectly Sep 2, 2013

Privet Anna!

Trados Studio 2011 runs perfectly: Mac OS X 10.8.4 with Parallels 9 (updated Parallels recently… used it with Windows 7 long time) and Windows 8.

Cheers, Egils

United Kingdom
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
Re: I can't type in cyrillic in Trados Studio 2011 Sep 2, 2013

Hi Anna!

Do you have Russian keyboards activated?

Cheers, Egils

Anna Lada Hill
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Egils! Sep 2, 2013

I am very glad to learn this kind of technical set up is working. No, I did not know I have to activate it. Thank you for pointing it out. I will keep on resolving issues one at a time

[Edited at 2013-09-02 23:33 GMT]

United Kingdom
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
Trados Studio 2011 on Mac | Type in Cyrillic Sep 3, 2013

Hi Anna,

How to install the Cyrillic Keyboard for Mac?
http://learnrussian.rt.com/speak-russian/how-install-cyrillic-keyboard-mac

To use Russian you need Russian keyboard, to use Russian–Phonetic you can type using English keyboard. In latter case only few Cyrillic letters need to be memorised / associated with English keys.

In Windows environment Russian–Phonetic (I believe…) is not available?

Cheers, Egils

Ian Giles  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
Swedish to English
+ ...
VirtualBox and Trados Studio 2011 all fine for me Sep 3, 2013

I work with VirtualBox - have found its performance to be as good as paid-for software like Parallels and VMWare.

xxxowhisonant  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:43
German to English
+ ...
VMWare Fusion Sep 3, 2013

Studio 2011 works very well for me in a Windows 7 VM under Mac. Had it under Windows XP before, that was fine too. The only problems I've experienced were momentary freezes when running in VMware's 'Unity' view, in which the application appears to be running directly on the host OS. Nary a glitch in full-screen or single window.

nishihirosan
United Kingdom
English to Japanese
+ ...
Changing input language in Trados running on Parallels on Mac Nov 12, 2013

Hi, I've managed to install Parallels on Mac and installed Trados Studio 2014, however, I just cannot change my input language into Japanese (I eventually figured out how to do that on Windows virtual machine itself, I really do not like Windows 8...) so I can't really use Trados at the moment!

Has anyone had a similar problem before?

Anna Carter
United States
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Windows 8 can be made to look like Windows 7 Jan 14, 2014

So many people dislike Windows 8 that there is now a way to make it look and feel like Windows 7. So says the computer software salesman at Staples. I am about to install 2014 on my mac (running Parallels). Next I will probably test out the Windows modification: http://blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7
Anna

nishihirosan wrote:

Hi, I've managed to install Parallels on Mac and installed Trados Studio 2014, however, I just cannot change my input language into Japanese (I eventually figured out how to do that on Windows virtual machine itself, I really do not like Windows 8...) so I can't really use Trados at the moment!

Has anyone had a similar problem before?

Anna Carter
United States
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, it works pretty well Jan 14, 2014

I am successfully running Trados 2011 and Multi-term on my Macbook air using Parallels. (I will never go back to a PC.) It acts "odd" at times b/c my keyboard is a mac keyboard, but overall it works as it should. Accent marks, however, are wasting a lot of time. I have a solution for that problem, but I have yet to implement it. I will, as soon as I install 2014 (today!).
Anna

Anna Lada Hill wrote:

Does anyone have expirience of installation and working with Trados 2011 on Mac?

The installation went well about 1 month ago, but I was not able even to start Trados, got error messages. Please advice. Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 on Mac

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search